News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Rocker cover gasket guide?

Started by bigjiz, March 20, 2015, 02:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjiz

Hey all,
Ive just bought a 85 fj1100 and ive notice it blowing a bit of oil out of the rocker cover gasket, I tried 1 million web searches but I cant find a guide on how to replace it. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

TexasDave

Each of the 8 bolts holding the valve cover on has a rubber grommet under it and these decay and leak. They are easily replaced without removing the valve cover. Just remove the gas tank and they are right there. The replacement grommets are available from RPMracingca.com. When reinstalling the bolts do not over tighten them as they have a shoulder on them to prevent compressing the grommets and they bottom out and turn no farther. Very little torque required. Good luck. Dave  
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

movenon

As noted by Dave the bolt gaskets or the cover gasket can leak. On the cover gasket I put a dab of silicone on the half circle parts of the gasket and that's about it. Don't over TQ the cover and it will last many years. I have had mine off and back on at least 4 times and still using it. Don't silicone the crap out of it. Silicone bits can end up inside your engine.  TQ value is 7.2 ft lbs. I use 8 ft lbs.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

wirehairs

Quote from: movenon on March 20, 2015, 03:33:59 AM
  TQ value is 7.2 ft lbs. I use 8 ft lbs.
George

My torque wrench starts at 20lbs or something.  Can you or anyone else recommend a torque wrench that can handle those low numbers?

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: wirehairs on March 20, 2015, 08:14:22 AM

My torque wrench starts at 20lbs or something.  Can you or anyone else recommend a torque wrench that can handle those low numbers?

This is what I've been using. No problems.

http://m.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-2696.html

Good price point.

I'm sure others will chime in with more expensive ones.
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

mr blackstock

I would have thought tightening up "just a nip" would suffice.  The rocker cover does not require much at all, so I reckon tighten "till it feels snug" would be o.k, if she leaks oil afterwards tighten more.

Not many of us use a torque wrench for tightening sparkplugs, (yet many of us perhaps should considering the risk of easily stripping the threads.)

Just a thought...

cheers, Gareth
Squeaky wheels always get the grease...

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

FJmonkey

Quote from: wirehairs on March 20, 2015, 04:11:08 PM
That one starts at 20lbs though.  It would be nice to have one for under that.  So far, this is the one I've found online that I like the most, and does 2 to 16 lbs: http://www.lowes.com/pd_587682-73126-24320_0__?productId=50169193&Ntt=587682&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3D587682&facetInfo=

Check the link again, it is listed in inch pounds. So 20 in. lbs. equals 1.67 ft. lbs. and 200 in. lbs. equals 16.7 ft. lbs. I also use this one from HF and find it is good for the price. The Lowes wrench has the same capacity but at twice the cost.

I will now leave you back to your torquing...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

TexasDave

Quote from: mr blackstock on March 20, 2015, 04:40:44 PM
I would have thought tightening up "just a nip" would suffice.  The rocker cover does not require much at all, so I reckon tighten "till it feels snug" would be o.k, if she leaks oil afterwards tighten more.

Not many of us use a torque wrench for tightening sparkplugs, (yet many of us perhaps should considering the risk of easily stripping the threads.)

Just a thought...

cheers, Gareth
I agree with Gareth. Such a small amount of torque I think I can snug it up by hand without stripping. Have been doing spark plugs without a torque wrench for 50+ years and haven't stripped one out yet.  Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

Mark Olson

you can hand tighten with a 1/4 drive ratchet without getting too far off. with a 3/8 you can over tighten in a hurry.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

bigjiz

Thanks heaps guys, you've all been a lot of help :)

chiz

Don't get caught up in these torque wrenches in inch pounds. I know of at least one person that rebuilt a v8 using one of these Crappie tire wrenches I cant even imagine how long that motor survived. Many people don't heed that the tool is in INCH POUNDS.
   Chiz

FJ_Hooligan

I don't trust any torque wrench for torque values that low.

On the valve cover bolts, I just tighten them until I feel the shoulder hit then apply a very slight additional torque.

I once watched a guy strip out a brake caliper bolt using an expensive torque wrench set to the correct value.
DavidR.