News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Clutch replacement advice

Started by Jeff0308, March 14, 2015, 10:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fj johnnie

Quote from: ribbert on March 17, 2015, 06:06:01 AM
Quote from: fj johnnie on March 16, 2015, 07:05:10 PM
I was told that with a larger much gripper wheel, the stock clutch can slip due to slight vibrations made possible by the small anti chatter spring.

I reckon there's just enough room left in the neck of Pat's bottle to fit this one in.

A standard FJ does not have a traction problem, even with shitty tyres.

Noel
:crazy: :wacko1: :wacko3:

Jeff0308

Thanks to everyone for there input. Greatly appreciated. Now its just a time thing. WHEN?  Am going to see about the carbi diaphragms, thanks Gareth. I'm uncertain as to what parts the clutch is going to require as yet, so, I think its a matter of just wait until its apart and see what it needs. My biggest fear is making the clutch heavier than it already is now. I,m also going to get the valve shims done as I have got no idea when they were last done. Not since I've had it anyway. It also might be part of the carbi idling issue,(HOPING) or a combination effort between valves and diaphragms being crook. Just a guess. My other query is.Can it be possible that the hydraulics in the clutch, (slave cylinder or master ) could give the impression the clutch is buggered. The lever has a solid feel from the moment its depressed. I had an instance where air got in and played hell but this is different. It releases about 5mm from when its fully released. I've heard people say "85000km is that all"? I don't ride it hard, just cruise along, only the occasional moment of "Lets Go". Even the way it is now, she still goes, doesn't grumble, just gets from A to B with out any issues. If I give her a gut full in 3rd or 4th the clutch slips a little so rather than upset it and tempt fate, just cruise along quietly for now. Was going to give it a run to Ararat to my parents place but "No". Decided against it for now. Reckon if i went quietly she would do it. Might just let it sit for now rather than make it worse and more expensive.  Jeff