News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

'89 to '91 turn signal assembly swap issues.

Started by aviationfred, March 12, 2015, 11:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aviationfred

I am hoping that someone has done this mod and ran into this same issue.

I have a '89 U.S. Spec bike and installed a '91 U.K. Spec lefthand switch assembly. I used both the 3cv U.S. wiring diagram and the 3xw U.K. Wiring diagram to connect the wiring. Everything works as it should except the turn signals. I select right or left signal and nothing happens. 5 minutes later the signal last selected is flashing. The 3cv has a reed switch connected to the flasher relay that is no longer used since I replaced the speedometer. I put a jumper wire between the white/green wire and the black wire at the flasher relay and there was no change. An interesting and baffling thing I found is that I can select either signal, then bump the start button and the signal starts flashing. I can not see where the start switch is tied into the turn signal circuit.

Any ideas will be helpful.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Steve_in_Florida

Fred,
You have to have WARM beer on hand to appease the U.K. electrical gremlins.

Can this somehow be blamed on the Lucas company? That's what all the MG people do.

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

TexasDave

Fred I think you are back feeding the flasher relay through the starter relay coil. There is a blue/white wire from the starter relay coil to the flasher relay. Or the flasher relay uses the same wire for a ground when the starter relay coil is energized.  Just my 2 cents worth.  Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.