News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

A few questions on maintenance for a "new" 93 FJ1200

Started by wirehairs, March 01, 2015, 11:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Filetti

Quote from: Capn Ron on March 04, 2015, 11:55:12 PM
Excellent point Pat!

H is rated for 130MPH...but I was running the Pirelli Sport Demon in the front and an Avon Roadrider in the rear on that trip.  They're both V rated for 149MPH.

...But we never cracked the 65 MPH speed limit.   :biggrin:

I thought that speed rating was: at that speed, sustained for a prolonged (30 mins?) period of time.  -No?  I also thought I read where most/ all H rated tires will do much more than advertised, but you just would not want to bet your life on it -which is good council, of course. 

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

magge52

Quote from: Dan Filetti on March 05, 2015, 02:23:08 PM
Excellent point Pat!

H is rated for 130MPH...but I was running the Pirelli Sport Demon in the front and an Avon Roadrider in the rear on that trip.  They're both V rated for 149MPH.

...But we never cracked the 65 MPH speed limit.   :biggrin:

I thought that speed rating was: at that speed, sustained for a prolonged (30 mins?) period of time.  -No?  I also thought I read where most/ all H rated tires will do much more than advertised, but you just would not want to bet your life on it -which is good council, of course. 

Dan

My mechanic told me the same thing about the H rating when I was looking to reshod the FJ last season. I think that's typical for tire ratings. I bought Pirelli Sport Demons and for street use they have been great. Pirelli calls them X-ply, the front is H rated and the rear is V rated.
George
92 FJ1200/abs
97 Duc 900ss/sp
75 Norton

moparman70

WELL --- I am for stepping down to the 110/70-17 radial front  --- its not that much smaller than the 120 and is made for a 3 inch rim ---- spec last time I checked 2.75-3 inch ----  and the 120 was 3 - 3.5 ---- so why not go to the 110 and go with the upper end of the spec ( wider rim size for that size tire) .   

AVON STORM 3-D XM --- are available for the front in both 120 and 110 sizes so if you want you can go the other way too.  And they have a rear 150 -- if still pushing the stock rear.   V- rated as during my commute I do frequent the higher speeds and need that for safety

I like mine -- so far but I haven't given them the PaLomar Test yet.

sc2

craigo

Quote from: moparman70 on March 06, 2015, 07:23:41 PM

I like mine -- so far but I haven't given them the PaLomar Test yet.

sc2

After the snow melts and the roads are clear of sand, I'll join you.  :i_am_so_happy:

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

FJmonkey

Quote from: craigo on March 06, 2015, 09:09:56 PM
After the snow melts and the roads are clear of sand, I'll join you.  :i_am_so_happy:

CraigO

Count me in...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

stua1959

WELL --- I am for stepping down to the 110/70-17 radial front 

I went with a 110 radial front and feel that it is much better suited to the 3" rim. After the first few rides I had very narrow chicken strips whereas the 120 still had plenty of untouched side tread. This tells me that the area of the tyre that was designed for cornering is now being properly used

ribbert

Quote from: stua1959 on March 07, 2015, 04:14:06 AM

I went with a 110 radial front and feel that it is much better suited to the 3" rim. After the first few rides I had very narrow chicken strips whereas the 120 still had plenty of untouched side tread. This tells me that the area of the tyre that was designed for cornering is now being properly used

Yeah, I think you're on the money Stu, 110's the way to go with a 3" wheel.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

yamaha fj rider

Quote from: ribbert on March 07, 2015, 05:54:29 AM
Quote from: stua1959 on March 07, 2015, 04:14:06 AM

Yeah, I think you're on the money Stu, 110's the way to go with a 3" wheel.

Noel
+1 I remember reading somewhere that the 120 that came on these bikes was only 112 mm.

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

ribbert

Quote from: yamaha fj rider on March 07, 2015, 08:25:59 PM

I remember reading somewhere that the 120 that came on these bikes was only 112 mm.

Kurt

The 120 Conti's I use are only 110mm.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Capn Ron

Quote from: Dan Filetti on March 05, 2015, 02:23:08 PM
Excellent point Pat!

H is rated for 130MPH...but I was running the Pirelli Sport Demon in the front and an Avon Roadrider in the rear on that trip.  They're both V rated for 149MPH.

...But we never cracked the 65 MPH speed limit.   :biggrin:

I thought that speed rating was: at that speed, sustained for a prolonged (30 mins?) period of time.  -No?  I also thought I read where most/ all H rated tires will do much more than advertised, but you just would not want to bet your life on it -which is good council, of course.  

Dan

Just checked my Sport Demons and they're both V speed rated.  The front load/speed rating is (58V).

According to Wikipedia, "It indicates the maximum speed at which the tire can carry a load corresponding to its Load Index."

I take that to mean that the tire is rated up to 149MPH while carrying its 520 pound maximum.  I'm having a hard time finding any verbiage on "time at speed".  Our front tires don't see nearly that much weight so I'm surmising some margin of safety there as well.
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

Firehawk068

Quote from: Capn Ron on March 08, 2015, 03:09:27 AM
Just checked my Sport Demons and they're both V speed rated.  The front load/speed rating is (58V).

According to Wikipedia, "It indicates the maximum speed at which the tire can carry a load corresponding to its Load Index."

I take that to mean that the tire is rated up to 149MPH while carrying its 520 pound maximum.  I'm having a hard time finding any verbiage on "time at speed".  Our front tires don't see nearly that much weight so I'm surmising some margin of safety there as well.

Did you find any info on their "Off-Road" capabilities?  :sarcastic:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

wirehairs

In the end, I decided to go with the 880's with the bias ply.  In case anybody else is going to buy some, the promo code PB-S1METZ right now at Motorcycle Superstore nets you another 5% off.

Cheers!

Quote from: Capn Ron on March 04, 2015, 03:34:05 PM
Here's the Metzeler ME880 front available from Motorcycle Superstore:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/6126/i/metzeler-me-880-marathon-touring-front-tire

Says there are 6 left in stock. (120/70VB-17)

And the rear:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/6127/i/metzeler-me-880-marathon-touring-rear-tire

Says they have more than 10 available.  (150/80HB-16)

Revzilla also has them in stock, but they're a bit more expensive there.

Before I left on my trip...and after a ton of research, this is the tire I wanted.  I called six local dealers and they all told me that Metzeler no longer makes the ME880 in my sizes.  They were wrong or lazy or just wanted to sell me what they had on hand...or all three.   :dash2:  In a seeming bind, I had them mount up Pirelli Sport Demons...as much as I liked them, they were worn out in TWELVE days of touring.   :shok: