News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

The second gear issue

Started by LtPwnzor, January 09, 2015, 11:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LtPwnzor

Okay, so I'm now at least pretty confident that my sticky carb float was just a temporary thing. Second gear, however, is definitely on the way out. So I'm gonna get some stuff from RPM and get right on it. Less time wasted delaying it means more time enjoying a healthy FJ. So just to make sure I'm getting all the parts I'll need, I'm posting here the bits and bobs I plan to order from RPM:
-Shift Forks: left, right, and center
-Roller Shift Detent Kit
-Undercut Transmission Output Shaft

If there's anything else I should order, or if there's anything I should bear in mind before proceeding...
Well, you know.

Thanks
Try not. Do, or do not; there is no try.

FJ1100mjk

If you are buying your components from RPM, shouldn't your request for information be directed to Randy there, who is well-versed in the repairs that you'll be doing?
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

Dads_FJ

Pretty good write up here:  http://www.fj1100.com/main.htm (left hand column under maintenance)

When I did mine I replaced all the seals and lower-end gaskets too. 

***-Undercut Transmission Output Shaft***  and just fyi it's the gears which are undercut, not the shaft.

Good Luck!
John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'92 Yamaha TDM850
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'81 Yamaha IT250(H)
'77 Yamaha IT175(D)
'39 BSA WM20

jscgdunn

Quote from: LtPwnzor on January 09, 2015, 11:41:13 AM

If there's anything else I should order, or if there's anything I should bear in mind before proceeding...
Well, you know.

Thanks

You might want to get an order of magnitude quote for doing the work.......(unless you are pretty handy, my apologies if you are);  lot's of folks just short shift second.

Jeff
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

LtPwnzor

Yeah, I could just live with it like it is, but this bike is something I intend to treasure, and I hope to ride it til the day it dies (that is, if my time doesn't run up first). To ride for many happy years, I think I should do this; I'll do it myself if necessary. Hell, working on this bike in my free time has to be a better use of my spare time than rotting my brain with video games and anime.

Mark Olson

Go to the Rpm website and send Randy an e-mail from there . He will advise what seals and gaskets and other stuff needed for this repair.

I will be doing this soon myself and plan to tear it down first and then inspect everything involved . It may turn out I need more than I thought.
Maybe oil pickup screen , shift drum , shift shaft , brgs . so you really don't know until you are in there and can see what ya got.

RPM does have a limited supply of shafts ready to go so don't wait to long.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

wildfire

So is the infamous FJ 2nd gear issue due to overzealous gear shifting or a weakness in the second gear cog. I expect its the former.
1992 FJ1200

"All I ask for is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy".

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: wildfire on January 09, 2015, 03:37:17 PM
So is the infamous FJ 2nd gear issue due to overzealous gear shifting or a weakness in the second gear cog. I expect its the former.

Shifting action laziness, or lack of deliberateness when going through the longer shifter throw from first to second, could also be thrown into the cause and effect list.

My '85 shows no symptoms at approximately 40,000 miles.
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

Mark Olson

Quote from: wildfire on January 09, 2015, 03:37:17 PM

Short answer: Design Flaw in gears and forks.

Long answer:

The early fj's  years 84-87 have the most trouble due to weaker shift forks that can bend with use /abuse . The 2nd gear dogs/cogs are not factory undercut and over time wear out/round off because of high load and the weak fork not being able to hold it in place .

88's are rare and may be 87 models or 89 models . look for ant-dive brakes and 16" front wheel to identify where it falls.

89-93 FJ's have factory upgraded shift forks that are stronger but 2nd gear is still not undercut and will pop out with use/abuse in time. Gears 4&5 are undercut .

Some FJ owners have staved off this eminent repair by using the shift detent kit that allows a more positive shift . This can be installed without splitting the case.

The shift forks that RPM sells are the strongest ones you can get.

In my case , even with being aware of the 2nd gear problem and carefully shifting for thousands of miles I have finally reached the point of no return and must now do the gears and forks. :dash2:

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

LtPwnzor

Quote89-93 FJ's have factory upgraded shift forks that are stronger but 2nd gear is still not undercut and will pop out with use/abuse in time. Gears 4&5 are undercut.
Yeah; can't say I remember for certain (since I had only ridden the bike once or twice beforehand), but I'm fairly sure this problem did not exist before I spilled my '92. The bike went down pretty hard on the shifter when I low-sided, and it was in first when I went down. Considering the way it fell, and doing the math, I'm pretty sure my second gear problem is a result of (unintentional) abuse.

Mark Olson

Be sure to check your shift shaft as well when you get in there . It may be bent.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.