News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

84 fj11 refuses to rev past 4000rpm,

Started by fj11.5, June 26, 2011, 10:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Conlon

Quote from: Dan Filetti on June 28, 2011, 11:16:14 AM
Let's keep it PG here Colon!
Dan

Ha...the Colon, yes... the organ that keeps your shit together.... :sarcastic:
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Dan Filetti

Quote from: Pat Conlon on June 28, 2011, 12:12:28 PM
Quote from: Dan Filetti on June 28, 2011, 11:16:14 AM
Let's keep it PG here Colon!
Dan

Ha...the Colon, yes... the organ that keeps your shit together.... :sarcastic:

Ha!, I did not notice that.  one little 'n' changes the meaning pretty dramatically!
Live hardy, or go home. 

momodasaint

hI, i RECENTLY HAD EXACTLY THE SAME ISSUE WITH MY 1100. tHE YAMAHA STORE, HAD THE BIKE FOR THREE WEEKS, THEY CHANGED ALL THE THINGS YOU SAID YOU CHANGED AS WELL AND IT NEVER ALTERED THE PROBLEM ONE BIT. uNTIL THE GUYS DICONNECTED THE WIRE THAT GOES FROM THE DASH TO THE CDI BOX. tHIS WIRE IS TELLING THE CDI TO SHUT THE SPARK TO CYL. 1 & 4, BECAUSE IT THINKS THE BIKE IS OVER REVVING. sOMEHOW THE TACHO IS SENDING A FAULTY SIGNAL TO THE CDI. oNCE THE GUYS CUT THIS WIRE, THE BIKE HAS BEHAVED PERFECTLY NOW FOR FOUR MONTHS. cHEERS FROM bENDER
My current ride
   XJR1300 SP 2000
My XJR1300 is just like Van Morrison Sings "She's as sweet as Tupolo Honey, Honey baby, from the bee"
 Previous rides
    FJ1100 1984  
    FJ1100 1985
    ZZR600 1995
    ZZR250 1998
    XT250  1990
    YZ125  1994

JoBrCo

Quote from: fj11.5 on June 28, 2011, 02:54:13 AM
Hey again, tripple checked float heights , double checked all hoses and lines, vacume advance is on #2 carb as per manual can swap for 3 if thats any help ? , unless the problem happens again i may have fixed it ?? re,routed coil wires ,seems it was arking out on fuel tank, , tank off ran perfect , tank fitted problem came back, sort and heatshrink wires , all good ?  have had her for at least 7yrs , ,not used much lately dam it , thanks to all for the help , hope ive got it sortet
I've noted that if I'm not careful when putting the tank on, the fuel line can be pinched, reducing fuel flow.  So what I do is lower it slowly while I'm on it's left side, (shifter side), using a screwdriver I locate the vacuum advance line and fuel line so they are not pinched, as sometimes, on my bike, they pinch each other off on the upper carb rack bracket.  I've also shortened the two lines going down from the Y connector so the fuel line sits closer to the air box, which seems to help reduce the potential of further pinching.  Of course your mileage may vary.  The bottom line is to adjust fuel line lengths/positions to ensure they never get pinched.

Good Luck!

And...

Happy Holidays!

FJ Forever!   :drinks:

JoBrCo 
1985 FJ1100NC

"To 'truly' see the man in the mirror, the only way for the image to be clear, as the man then 'truly' grows" --JoBrCo--

'I only know that I know nothing' --Socrates--

theLeopard

Mine does this but only when i try to break 100mph.
Probably cause im on stock jets.

I'd wager Pat is right on this one, fuel line is probably your culprit.
You can only rev as much fuel as you burn.
1992 FJ1200

Quote from: George"It is What It Is Until It Ain't Anymore"

Mark Olson

Quote from: theLeopard on January 03, 2015, 01:58:12 PM
Mine does this but only when i try to break 100mph.
Probably cause im on stock jets.

I'd wager Pat is right on this one, fuel line is probably your culprit.
You can only rev as much fuel as you burn.

Whoa Leopard , you should be able to hit 100mph easy with a stock jetted fj.
You may have a blocked fuel cap vent . There is a flapper valve in there that will cause fuel starvation after time. The fix is to take the fuel cap apart and remove the rubber flap.

Also if you use a magnetic tank bag it can block the gas cap vent and starve the carbs as well.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

theLeopard

I'll put it on the list.
Is the flap valve replaceable? Ive really grown to love the singing.

Also, i occasionally use a magnetic tankbag, thanks for the tip.  :hi:
1992 FJ1200

Quote from: George"It is What It Is Until It Ain't Anymore"