News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Oil Level Light

Started by Maticuno, October 05, 2014, 11:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maticuno

Under hard acceleration, the oil level light comes on until I reach cruising speed and back off the throttle.  I'm not talking about drag racing acceleration, but merging onto a freeway from a dead stop acceleration.  Doesn't happen all the time.  I recently changed the oil with 15W-40 Rotella and a healthy dose of Lucas Stabilizer.  Oil level looks fine in the sight glass on the center stand.  Only 18,000 miles.  Do I need to run it a little over full or am I having an oil pump issue?
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
1984 FJ1100

FJmonkey

Just a little more oil and all will be fine with the FJ world... Maybe 1/2 a quart... It is only a low oil warning, it happens up hill, not down hill. The sensor is in the sump, it is not tragic.... As you were...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

roverfj1200

As long as the light goes off when not under acceleration all will be fine. You can over fill a little and stop it but there is no real need. 
1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.

Maticuno

Awesome.  Thank you.  So the light is a sump level warning, not a pressure warning?
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
1984 FJ1100

rktmanfj

Quote from: Maticuno on October 06, 2014, 09:43:46 AM
Awesome.  Thank you.  So the light is a sump level warning, not a pressure warning?

Yes.

FWIW, I run mine at the top of the sight glass.

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

1tinindian

Quote from: not a lib on October 06, 2014, 10:09:03 AM
Quote from: Maticuno on October 06, 2014, 09:43:46 AM
Awesome.  Thank you.  So the light is a sump level warning, not a pressure warning?

Yes.

FWIW, I run mine at the top of the sight glass.

+1
4 Full quarts (1 US gal) and using the RPM oil filter adapter. the level just goes past the top edge of the glass.
Light never comes on now.

Leon
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

mr blackstock

G'day,

Fot the past few months I had been having issues with my oil light coming on, at first occasionally, then constantly.  i thought I had the fault solved when I checked some wiring, then it came back.  I tracked it down to the diode.  Under the fairing, upper left frame.  Little square box with rubber cover, plastic tied to the frame.
I let it hang free, and the problem disappeared, re-attached it to the frame and it came back.  

It may be the cause of your issue as it appears when the engine is revving/vibrating, then disappears when the revs/vibrations die off.  

Perhaps give that a try?

cheers, Gareth

Located on frame:

Cut free from vibrating frame:

Squeaky wheels always get the grease...

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

theLeopard

1992 FJ1200

Quote from: George"It is What It Is Until It Ain't Anymore"

Mark Olson

Yes as stated by others , add a little bit more oil .

I like to add to the top line in the window.

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"