News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Belly Pan Insulation

Started by cadmanmadman, November 11, 2009, 12:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadmanmadman

I saw a thread earlier about somebody needing new insulation for the belly pan and I think somebody said where they got it....Lowes?.....Home depot?
Its that thin, silver stuff and it looks like it has a layer of fiberglass or some sort of stuff in between.

threejagsteve

Yes, that was me...

The stuff I got was from Home Depot. "Frost King Duct Insulation Self Adhesive Foil and Foam" 12" x 1/8" x 15'. The roll costs around $15, but you get plenty for two, maybe enough for three. I'd recommend brushing on a thin layer of contact cement as the self adhesive wasn't really designed to stick around contoured surfaces like you find around the rear bosses for the mounting screws.

HTH...  

Edited to fix typo.
"If you wanna bark with the big dogs, you can't pee with the puppies!"

europe50

I used Design Engineering DEI 010408 - DEI Cool Tape. I think I will do the Frost King stuff as well.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEI-010408/

europe50

Quote from: threejagsteve on November 11, 2009, 01:29:57 PM
The stuff I got was from Home Depot. "Frost King Duct Insulation Self Adhesive Foil and Foam" 12" x 1/8" x 15'. The roll costs around $15, but you get plenty for two, maybe enough for three.
Steve,
I took a look at the stuff at Home Depot you described above. Doesn't the foam melt with the heat?
Dean

threejagsteve

Well, Dean, it still looks fine, around the edges at least (I didn't pull it up to check the middle), and no sign of further melting of the belly pan itself.

'Course I haven't had to spend an hour in stop-and-go city traffic on a 110*F day since I put this stuff on.

But it is intended for heater vent applications, after all...
"If you wanna bark with the big dogs, you can't pee with the puppies!"

ren-dog

I remember using stuff called Flashtac years ago to seal up leaky shipping containers.
One side has a layer of aluminium that is a couple of mm thick.
The adhesive is bitumen like and needs pre-heating to stick.
The hotter it gets, the stickier it gets. That's gotta be a good thing.
I remember the world before Workplace Health & Safety.
ren-dog