News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Avon AV45 Tire Size Question- Not a bias-ply vs. radial question

Started by chainus, May 06, 2014, 09:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chainus

Hello All, I need to ask a question that I hope is not stupid. I'm the type that will scour the forums for days looking for my answer before speaking up and just asking.

I'm going to be buying tires for my 93 (actually a Japanese import 95) with stock wheels and after reading many posts of tire choices/opinions I think I will go with the only radial apparently made for my rear rim, the Avon Azaro ST AV46 in the 150/80-16 size.

I have read that many of you have run the AV45 front and the AV46 rear on the stock rims, but in searching online vendors, I am only seeing the AV45 in 120/80-16 for the front tire and my front is the 120/70-17. Does Avon no longer make the 17" front, or were those that ran the AV45 using a 16" stock wheel? and/or does anyone know where to get an AV45 in a 120/70-17?

I know the front and rear don't need to be an exact tire model match and I could just go with another W-rated radial from Avon or any other manufacturer for that matter. I am just wondering if I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance.
'95 FJ 1200 ABS
'75 BMW R90/6
'98 Triumph Trophy - sold
'97 CBR1100XX Super Blackbird - sold

FJmonkey

I have mixed front and rear tires, radial and non. If you are not going for performance then you can run on them. Hell, I ran on a rear radial mounted the wrong way without crashing... Avon makes a 17" radial to fit your front. 
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

rktmanfj

IIRC, Avon recommends the AV55 Storm to go with the Azaro on later model FJs

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

chainus

Cool, thank you! That's what I was looking for. After a quick look, the AV55 looks like a good one to run with the AV46, and I will try to make sure the tire is mounted in the right direction.  :good:
'95 FJ 1200 ABS
'75 BMW R90/6
'98 Triumph Trophy - sold
'97 CBR1100XX Super Blackbird - sold

Capn Ron

Quote from: chainus on May 06, 2014, 09:57:33 PM
I will try to make sure the tire is mounted in the right direction.  :good:

Always a plus!   :good2:

Cap'n Ron. . .
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.