News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

guys what is this?

Started by theLeopard, May 01, 2014, 10:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theLeopard

what am I looking at here?
specifically

1992 FJ1200

Quote from: George"It is What It Is Until It Ain't Anymore"

Arnie

Good question, but BAD picture.  Take a step back so we can see what you've shot.
Keep the same angle, just give us more location info.

Arnie

theLeopard

1992 FJ1200

FJ_Hooligan

It is a blue circle!

The first picture looks like there's a rusty split in the head/cylinder stud?
DavidR.

andyb

Looks like a stud to me.  Not a big stud, just a stud, y`know?  Probably busy holding the cylinder head and crankcases nice and tight around the cylinder barrels. 

Originally, they come with this black rubbery stuff on them, likely for noise and fanciness and stuff.  Over the years it goes away, and you get shiny bits poking out.

(I'm surprised grandpappy Pat hasn't taken his motor down and polished the studs yet... that'd look damned cool, thinking about it...)   :blum1:

aviationfred

That is one of the studs that holds the cylinders and heads on. When I had the head off of mine a year ago, I asked Randy @ RPM about the plastic coating that was chipping away. I was informed that the plastic was for appearances only and that there is nothing to be alarmed about with the plastic chipping off.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

theLeopard

so relieved. the more I ask the less sour this purchase looks.
anyone have contact information for Randy to service my carb? I need it up and running Monday so I can attend class @ 7am and it's leaking fuel from one of the overflow hoses.
1992 FJ1200

FJmonkey

Quote from: theLeopard on May 01, 2014, 12:18:28 PM
so relieved. the more I ask the less sour this purchase looks.
anyone have contact information for Randy to service my carb? I need it up and running Monday so I can attend class @ 7am and it's leaking fuel from one of the overflow hoses.

www.rpmracingca.com
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

FeralRdr

racerrad8

Quote from: FeralRdr on May 01, 2014, 12:35:49 PM
This also works.

Unfortunately, once someone is a member of the forum, they never see the banner ad anymore, so thank you to all of you guys that spread the word about RPM to other members new & old.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

RD56

Quote from: racerrad8 on May 05, 2014, 08:56:16 AM
Quote from: FeralRdr on May 01, 2014, 12:35:49 PM
This also works.

Unfortunately, once someone is a member of the forum, they never see the banner ad anymore, so thank you to all of you guys that spread the word about RPM to other members new & old.

Randy - RPM

It's my understanding that ads stop once you are contributing member. I rather like the ads
1985 FJ1100

FeralRdr

Oops!  Yeah, I didn't catch that the ads disappeared when you sign in.   I plead: "Lack of coffee!" :blush:

Arnie

If you want the ads, just don't "Log in".  OR overstay your alloted time to remain logged in.
(that's usually how I know I've stayed longer than an hour (default time)

craigo

Leopard,

Try tapping the #4 carb with a hammer. Note, TAP, not hammer. I had a leak out of my #1 carb and this fixed it. Surprised that no one had suggested that.  :pardon:

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

Capn Ron

Quote from: craigo on May 07, 2014, 06:32:16 PM
Leopard,

Try tapping the #4 carb with a hammer. Note, TAP, not hammer. I had a leak out of my #1 carb and this fixed it. Surprised that no one had suggested that.  :pardon:

CraigO

After rebuilding my carbs in an Arizona hotel room, I had fuel leaking from one of the hoses...BADLY!  I rode the bike off a curb to jostle the stuck float free.  Did the trick!   :good2:

Cap'n Ron. . .
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.