News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

hose disconnects *first post*

Started by theLeopard, April 30, 2014, 09:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyb

Quote from: theLeopard on May 01, 2014, 09:02:58 PM
the drip. oooooh, the drip. leaves a nice little puddle on the ground.

so we talk a bit more, ivan seems unconcerned. says that's typical behavior if the bike has been on the kickstand as the carb fuel-level is uneven tilted so it's draining the overflow.

Having a bike leak fuel is not normal behavior. 

theLeopard

Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 02, 2014, 02:20:18 PM
Yes, there are two hoses on the stock airbox...
1) a large vent hose connecting at the top right side of your engine case that runs to the bottom side of your *stock* air box. It is part of your emissions system. The oil vapor generated by the engine blow by is recirculated back thru the carbs.

When removing and reinstalling the stock airbox to service the carbs, this crankcase vent hose (#1) is very difficult to reconnect to the bottom of the airbox...Many times lazy service techs leave this hose disconnected.

We, who have learned how to service our carbs, throw away the stock airbox and install UniPod filters which make this service job much, much easier. On the crankcase vent hose we install a small K&N filter at the end of the hose thus venting the crankcase vapors to the atmosphere....it also keeps our carbs cleaner without all that crankcase oil vapor being pulled through the carbs.
I'll replace the parts asap.
Would you happen to have an available photo of hose#1 so I can ask the guy about it tomorrow? Bike is in the shop getting repaired short-notice, for anyone interested.

Quote from: andyb on May 02, 2014, 06:00:23 PM
Having a bike leak fuel is not normal behavior. 
You know, that was my thought too but i'm a novice so I didn't know the magnitude of the problem when I saw it.
1992 FJ1200

Quote from: George"It is What It Is Until It Ain't Anymore"

theLeopard

Got a good look at the carb today. O-rings are completely shot, minor wear on the needles.

Shipping the parts from RPM, should be running again monday.
Good guy there, got me whati really needed and at the best price too, would recommend to anyone with an FJ.
1992 FJ1200

movenon

Quote from: theLeopard on May 03, 2014, 02:54:03 PM
Got a good look at the carb today. O-rings are completely shot, minor wear on the needles.

Shipping the parts from RPM, should be running again monday.
Good guy there, got me whati really needed and at the best price too, would recommend to anyone with an FJ.

Excellent, you are on the road to recovery. There's not much if anything that Randy at RPM doesn't know about those motors and his shipping is super fast. I have a list of top end parts to get from him after the rally and things settle down in my life.

Did he pull your pilot jets and emulsion tubes and clean them?  I would clean up what you can while in there.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

theLeopard

gotta get the repairs done in Esco, couldn't ride the 6hours with the severity of my leak and I need the bike operational ASAP (looking like Monday pm maybe Tuesday am).
when I get around to performance-tuning the bike I know exactly who to call though.

Quote from: movenon on May 03, 2014, 04:53:09 PM
Did he pull your pilot jets and emulsion tubes and clean them?  I would clean up what you can while in there.
George
probably not, this guy Joe didn't even pull the assy out until I said something about the O-rings. could really use a picture or diagram of that #1hose to make sure it's reconnected.
i'll likely be pulling everything apart myself on the weekends so i'll start making a to-do list and put those two items at the top.
1992 FJ1200

movenon

Quote from: theLeopard on May 03, 2014, 11:21:45 PM
gotta get the repairs done in Esco, couldn't ride the 6hours with the severity of my leak and I need the bike operational ASAP (looking like Monday pm maybe Tuesday am).
when I get around to performance-tuning the bike I know exactly who to call though.

Quote from: movenon on May 03, 2014, 04:53:09 PM
George
probably not, this guy Joe didn't even pull the assy out until I said something about the O-rings. could really use a picture or diagram of that #1hose to make sure it's reconnected.
i'll likely be pulling everything apart myself on the weekends so i'll start making a to-do list and put those two items at the top.

Sounds like you have already learned more about your carbs than your mechanic..... :lol:     Well when you get some time and space you can clean them yourself.  I think I understand where you at trying to just get some transportation going.

You will have to explain more about the #1 hose?  Are you talking about one of the four small vent hoses or one of the two larger overflows or a vacuum hose on top ?
George

1990 FJ 1200

Pat Conlon

George, no he's referring to my above post...hose #1 is the crank case breather hose...
Sorry, I do not have a picture of the hose...

Perhaps others?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

movenon

Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 03, 2014, 11:53:25 PM
George, no he's referring to my above post...hose #1 is the crank case breather hose...
Sorry, I do not have a picture of the hose...

Perhaps others?

Ok. I am with you now.. :morning1:
George

1990 FJ 1200

theLeopard

Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 02, 2014, 02:20:18 PM
Yes, there are two hoses on the stock airbox...
1) a large vent hose connecting at the top right side of your engine case that runs to the bottom side of your *stock* air box. It is part of your emissions system. The oil vapor generated by the engine blow by is recirculated back thru the carbs.
2) There is a second smaller drain line that runs from the bottom of the airbox to the ground. It's purpose is to drain off any accumulated oil that collects in the airbox....(oil generated by the crankcase vent)

When removing and reinstalling the stock airbox to service the carbs, this crankcase vent hose (#1) is very difficult to reconnect to the bottom of the airbox...Many times lazy service techs leave this hose disconnected.
This #1 hose
1992 FJ1200

theLeopard

Carburetor is clean.
Replaced all the rings.
Replaced the needles.

How/when would I adjust the float needle position?
Also, i'm dripping fuel constantly with the engine off, I need a new fuel pump too?
Anything else I'm forgetting?
1992 FJ1200

theLeopard

#40 pilot jets? (wat are those?)
lets drink, i'm in over my wallet already.  :drinks:
1992 FJ1200

movenon

Quote from: theLeopard on May 07, 2014, 01:35:31 AM
#40 pilot jets? (wat are those?)
lets drink, i'm in over my wallet already.  :drinks:

Read through these files. It will give you an idea of what the parts are and where they are located.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=4281.0

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=7730.0 ( this is not an FJ carb but still a good to read )

George

1990 FJ 1200

craigo

Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 01, 2014, 10:11:27 AM
Don't panic. Don't ride it until you fix the problem.
To get you back on the road quickly, here's what I suggest:
1) Get a manual
2) study
3) take the carb rack off the bike, drain the gas, dry them and put them in a box and send them to RPM in Oakdale, Ca.
4) for aprox $150 (depending on options) Randy and Robert will ultrasonic clean them, fix them, sync them and get them back to you.
5) plug and play... You will be happy.
6) order and install a fresh fuel filter, also available from RPM.

See the Vendor section for RPM info....

See my signature line for additional suggestions...

Yes, and Yes do this and your carb problems will be done. This is not difficult.
Need assistance and tools, I am local and can help. PM me.

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

theLeopard

alright, i'm at my wits end here.
joe is as frustrated as I am, and we even bought a service manual which wasn't at all helpful.

so here we go.
I've got this:

that's the fuel solenoid that connects to the flange on the bottom-right side of the carburetor-gang (on the #4 carb).
on most models it leads from the fuel pump to the carburetor. on my model (California model possibly) I have a 3rd nipple sticking out of the side of the solenoid.

There is NOTHING to connect to that nipple.
At all.
And when we start the bike fuel spews out of the empty nipple like a geyser.

Other that that everything else works. No leaks, no problems, no nothing. Floats are good, all the needles&rings are new, all the hoses are properly connected.

So the manual shows one picture (1, out of all of them, 1) that shows the T-hoses that are present between the 1-2 carbs and 3-4 carbs with hoses fed up-and-over the carburetor-gang and an additotional hose which looks like the solenoid hose (the one i'm missing) that is fed up between the 2-3 carbs and vents into the atmosphere.
This would make sense, as the rudimentary diagram on the fender seems to indicate the fuel solenoid on my model vents into the atmosphere.

What i'm here to ask is: What the @!#* connects to the 3rd nipple on my solenoid?

Honestly I'm just considering buying stock parts from Japan and circumventing the California emissions standards but that's a worst case scenario if I can't find an appropriate manual/fix.
ALSO. Which bike do I own? I got on the Yamaha site (http://www.yamahapubs.com/) => motorcycle => 1992 => FJ1200 => 4 (four!) different models are listed. If you can figure it out, here's my VIN: JYA4AHC02NA008123
1992 FJ1200

Capn Ron

Quote from: theLeopard on May 09, 2014, 10:44:18 PM

ALSO. Which bike do I own? I got on the Yamaha site (http://www.yamahapubs.com/) => motorcycle => 1992 => FJ1200 => 4 (four!) different models are listed. If you can figure it out, here's my VIN: JYA4AHC02NA008123

You had lots of good questions in there, but I'm only addressing what I *can* answer.

When you pull up 1992 FJ1200's, you get:

FJ1200AD - This is a 1992 with the ABS brake option (The one I own)
FJ1200ADC - This is a 1992 with the ABS brake option, with California emission bits
FJ1200D - This is a 1992 without the ABS option
FJ1200DC - This is a 1992 without the ABS option, but with the California emission bits

Sounds like you are one of the two in red above...depending on if you have ABS or not.

Hope that helps.

Cap'n Ron. . .
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.