News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

91 fj12. Fuel coming out of fuel drain lines after ride.

Started by Easterntide, April 28, 2014, 06:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJmonkey

Quote from: Easterntide on May 08, 2014, 06:24:55 AM
since i've no idea how to actually balance carbs, i'm just guessing here...
for this device, the pressure from 2 of the carbs, if equal, balances the coloured fluid (water) in the tube?

if so that's silly simple.

but do you balance 2, then the next two then the final two by sliding over one carb at a time?

cool stuff.

Don

The way the carbs are connected controls how we balance them. Fist balance carbs (1 & 2) or (3 & 4) first, does not matter which set goes first, they just need to match each other. Then balance the other set. Then the middle adjustment screw will balance the two sets to eachother.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

ribbert

Quote from: FJmonkey on May 08, 2014, 09:33:31 AM
for this device, the pressure from 2 of the carbs, if equal, balances the coloured fluid (water) in the tube?

but do you balance 2, then the next two then the final two by sliding over one carb at a time?

cool stuff.

Don

The way the carbs are connected controls how we balance them. Fist balance carbs (1 & 2) or (3 & 4) first, does not matter which set goes first, they just need to match each other. Then balance the other set. Then the middle adjustment screw will balance the two sets to eachother.

There was a photo here recently of a 2 carb at a time balancer. The job is much easier 4 gauges, or if home made, 4 tubes and yes, you have grasped the principle and yes, it is silly simple.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

movenon

cool stuff.

Don

As FJmonkey explained. Carb 1 to 2 and then 3 to 4 then 1,2 bank to the 3,4 bank. Yes, all they do is measure the vacuum differential between the carbs.  My home made one I use two cycle oil for fluid.  Those cylinder numbers are looking down at your engine left to right.  Vacuum ports are on top of your intake manifolds.  In back (engine side) of your carbs down lower you will see 3 larger adjustment screws, those are you balancing screws.

If you are going to make your own then go here and read the two comments below the picture.
http://fjowners.com/gallery/2/1651_23_07_11_9_15_38.jpeg

You Tube has a bunch of video's of different methods and "how to do" the basics are the same.  
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Easterntide

Again, thanks for the sincerely helpful responses.

Returning to the motorized side of 2 wheel motion after 25 yrs on bicycles has been a welcome shift. You cats are horrible though, seems moditus has hit hard and now i can't stop thinking of updates. Fortunately my skills and my budget are both woefully inadequate for any where near what i'm seeing others on here doing.
So for a while it'll hold at SS lines/blue dots/new master cylinders/rpm spin ons'/and a new to me bmw shock.

for a while....