News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

'84 and switching over to foam air filters - good/bad and carb changes

Started by tboy, April 28, 2014, 02:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tboy

Tim in Oakville and my '84.
I'm about to work on the engine before re-assembly and I got the Dyna? foam filter kit for the carbs (and the little crankcase outlet filter) to replace the stock box and filter.
Any experience from other owners would be helpful
AND
Is there any changes in carb settings recommended to compensate for the change in breathing?

Thanks very much
tboy

mikedastonfj1100

You get better acceleration off those filters... Usually no mods necessary... Depending upon altitude you might have to change jet sizes.. Really all you need to do is adjust ur fuel mix screws which are capped off...
"I live my life 1/4 mile at a time. Within that 10 seconds or less, I'm free".... Fast and the furious quote said by vin dessel...

mikedastonfj1100

Quote from: mikedastonfj1100 on April 28, 2014, 06:59:11 PM
You get better acceleration off those filters... Usually no mods necessary... Depending upon altitude you might have to change jet sizes.. Really all you need to do is adjust ur fuel mix screws which are capped off...

correction...
not necessarily just altitude, but weather conditions too...
"I live my life 1/4 mile at a time. Within that 10 seconds or less, I'm free".... Fast and the furious quote said by vin dessel...

FJ_Hooligan

Usually no mods necessary...

Really?  Perhaps you need to do a little reading in the carb section.  It is a well documented fact that the most important adjustment that needs to be made when switching to "low restriction" pod filters is shimming the needles.  

If you do a lot of WOT riding then a bump of the main jet may also be needed.
DavidR.

Flynt

Really?

Really indeed...  now days you can just ask Randy (RPM) and get advice based on extensive experience (like 100s of FJ engines tuned).  Lots of great advice on this topic here and for the really funky Keihin FCR setup I have this site is otherworldly good  (Thanks again Frank!).  For the basic setup with any and all common mods, Randy is the guy that's seen it all and can send you the right parts.  No dis on any of the experts here, I think they'd mostly all agree.

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

fintip

fjowners.wikidot.com

Not everyone understands what a completely rational process this maintenance of a motorcycle is. They think it's some kind of a knack or some kind of affinity for machines in operation. They are right, but the knack is almost purely a process of reason.
-ZAMM

IBA:54952

tboy

Tim again:
Thanks for the input everybody - I got the UNI foam outfit from Randy, so that would be a good place to start.  My riding is straight and narrow and not too extreme temperatures in Ontario, Canada.  Mostly a fairweather rider, on this bike anyway.   
I'm about to do a carb cleaning and o-ring/gasket replacement since they are on the bench.

T

scouser

Im in Oakville too. let me know if you want to hook up for a ride. Bike lift table and tools also available to you if need.
Scouser
Scouser in Canada
1986 750 Interceptor
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2006 Suzuki GSX 650F
2007 Ducati Monster S2R 1000.
How many golfers do you see play with one club?? same should apply to Bikes and Fishing rods. That's my excuse.