News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

stock air filter vs single pod

Started by Mr.Freeze16, April 27, 2014, 01:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Freeze16

Hello everyone, I was wondering if the fj1200 will do any better with the k&n single pod filters compared to the stock airbox and filter? I had a 95 gsxr 1100 that when the pod filters were put on it ran worse and no matter what you did with carbs it still wouldn't run right.

andyb

If it's jetted appropriately, it will have the usual traits of pods.  A small loss of bottom end, a small gain in top end.  But a huge improvement in access to the carbs for maintenance.  Arguably also a small amount less weight.

FJmonkey

I have the UNI dual pods from RPM and really like them. Wash em' and re-oil every 5K. The awesome sound of air intake under the seat during Kookaloo moments is music to my ears....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

movenon

Quote from: FJmonkey on April 27, 2014, 04:35:55 PM
I have the UNI dual pods from RPM and really like them. Wash em' and re-oil every 5K. The awesome sound of air intake under the seat during Kookaloo moments is music to my ears....

+1 ++  Excellent product.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Mr.Freeze16

I guess I'll keep them, I like UNI filters too. I might just switch them over to them.

FJmonkey

Quote from: Mr.Freeze16 on April 27, 2014, 07:00:21 PM
I guess I'll keep them, I like UNI filters too. I might just switch them over to them.

Get your jets set properly for the UNI's and your exhaust combo and all will be good...  :drinks:

Mr.Freeze16

What size jets would be good with a full supertrapp exhaust and k&n pods?

FJmonkey

Quote from: Mr.Freeze16 on April 27, 2014, 09:24:04 PM
#40 for the idle jets is always safe. Raising the needles is required if you open up both the intake and exhaust. Possibly the air/fuel mix screws as well..

Mr.Freeze16

What about main jet, shouldn't that be a couple sizes bigger too?

FJmonkey

Quote from: Mr.Freeze16 on April 28, 2014, 02:39:57 AM
What about main jet, shouldn't that be a couple sizes bigger too?

Is your exhaust still stock? Or do you have something aftermarket? If it is more open (less restrictive) then you will want larger main jets. If you still have stock pipes you may not need to re-jet.

andyb

Monkey doesn't read well.  Yes, go up on the mains as well, I'd go 122's and see how the plugs read after.

racerrad8

Quote from: Mr.Freeze16 on April 27, 2014, 09:24:04 PM

It depends greatly on what you are going to do with your FJ as well as the atmospheric conditions; touring, sport riding, two-up, altitude and weather conditions all are considerations above the aforementioned mechanical modification already done.

If you want to me mail me the specifics I can get you dialed in pretty close.

Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
Randy - RPM

Mr.Freeze16

Everything is stock except for the supertrapp exhaust and pod filters. Its not an open exhaust but about 6plates and cover on the end. I live in ohio and wanting to take it to keywest, fl. so there will be different altitudes I will go thru.

Mr.Freeze16

Quote from: andyb on April 28, 2014, 08:45:04 AM
Monkey doesn't read well.  Yes, go up on the mains as well, I'd go 122's and see how the plugs read after.

WOW, its running great now. but when I'm getting on it alittle when it gets to higher rpm the clutch slips but I'm just so glad its running great, thanks. :good: