News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

vance and hines exhaust

Started by Ront, April 26, 2014, 10:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ront

Hello I have a 1986 fj1200 with a vance and hines 4into1 pipe with a competition baffle. It's too loud for me. Anyone know a way to quiet it? Also bike's starter spins slow especially when hot. Battery and connections good(load tested it). Any responses appreciated. Thanks

movenon

I don't know about the muffler.  On the starter it helps to crack open the throttle when you start it. If you decide to replace the starter get one of the newer 4 brush starters. RPM has them.  Also as a test you might bypass the starter solenoid and see if it turns over any faster? 
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

FJ1100mjk

You can re-pack the canister of your V&H exhaust, and achieve a better sound level. You may need this kit https://www.denniskirk.com/vance-and-hines/pop-rivet-allen-bolt-kit-supersport-canisters.p440564.prd/440564.sku from someone to button up the end cap to the canister after re-packing it with a suitable packing material. I have done a Kerker on another bike that I own using this packing material http://www.silentsport.de/silentsport.php?lang=en, and had good results. The sound level is much more tolerable.

You don't mention the mileage or general condition of your bike but...

Removing the starter and dis-assembling it, is a pretty straightforward job. Take the starter apart, check the brushes' lengths (minimum service length is 5.5 mm), clean the commutator's surface by lightly scrubbing it with fine grit (800 or finer) emery cloth to remove the blackish coating, restoring its shiny copper appearance, clean the shafts ends up, and the bushings that that they rotate in with a decent solvent to remove grit and grime, clean all up with a good contact cleaner, blow dry with compressed air, then place just one drop of oil in the shaft ends' bushings, spin the shaft to distribute the drops of oil evenly, then re-assemble all components carefully. I have done this procedure on my two FJ's that have the two-brush starters, and have never experienced the slow crank conditions that you and others have described. Regardless of hot, cold, throttle closed, throttle partially-opened.

If you haven't done so, you may want to inspect/clean the main ground cable's ring lug, that is connected to the rear of the engine cases. It's below (ugh) the airbox. You may also want to dis-assemble and clean the starter button, or at least shoot some good, plastic friendly, contact cleaner through the narrow spaces that surround the starter button on the pod. I've used DeoxIT http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f brand, on this area and many other areas with good results. Pricey, but worth it.

Good luck.
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

FJmonkey

My 86' has the same problem, I crack the throttle open about an 1/8 and starting is not a problem. When I need to change the starter, the 4 brush will be my choice. Some R&R on your current starter is also good advice, make sure it is working at its best. I also found that a really good battery is worth its weight in gold. I switched to an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery and it is way better than a normal lead acid battery. When I have the $$$ I will try the Lithium tech...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

JMR

Quote from: Ront on April 26, 2014, 10:45:20 PM
Hello I have a 1986 fj1200 with a vance and hines 4into1 pipe with a competition baffle. It's too loud for me. Anyone know a way to quiet it? Also bike's starter spins slow especially when hot. Battery and connections good(load tested it). Any responses appreciated. Thanks
Change out the comp baffle for a street baffle. You should be able to still get them.

dougrs

Quote from: movenon on April 26, 2014, 10:55:23 PM
I don't know about the muffler.  On the starter it helps to crack open the throttle when you start it. If you decide to replace the starter get one of the newer 4 brush starters. RPM has them.  Also as a test you might bypass the starter solenoid and see if it turns over any faster? 

A new starter solenoid fixed that issue on my bike...after replacing the starter and battery....
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
1994 BMW K75