News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Fork brace

Started by roryd, April 25, 2014, 03:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roryd

Hello all. I'm starting to put my 85 fj back together after completely restoring it. I noticed that there is an
arrow on the fork brace beside one of the holes. I'm assuming that this points forward but not sure. Can anyone tell me  what direction it goes ? Or doesn't it make a difference? Thanks for ay help

FJmonkey

If you put the arrow backwards it will cause your forks to go backwards. I saw it once back in 2005, not a pretty sight, the rider lived, the bike, not so much...  :biggrin:

Fork braces are not directional, but how the brace looks might be affected. What brand of brace is it? Post a picture.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

aviationfred

I have 2 spare OEM fork brace's and neither one has an arrow on them. They can go on in either direction. I would say the arrow may be from a previous owner marking it.

The part number is the same for all years of the FJ.

Number 2 in the drawing.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1989/FJ1200W/FENDER+%28NON-CALIFORNIA+MODEL%29/parts.html

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

roryd

It is oem brace. I'm the original owner of the bike and the brace has never been taken off.
Thanks for the help

FJmonkey

That piece is not direction specific, and not really a fork brace, more like a fender bracket.

This is a fork brace: www.rpmracingca.com The new shape looks good Randy, I like it.  :i_am_so_happy:
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

racerrad8

I have just removed a OE fork brace from a one owner 90 I am working on in the shop. The arrows are facing forward and there is one on each side of the brace

I have my camera at home and will take a picture of it tomorrow when I bring it back to the shop.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Hersey289

Like the 90 Randy's working on, both OEM braces on my two '85's have arrows. I've always installed arrow forward.

racerrad8

Here are the photos I took from the 90 factory brace. There is an arrow on both sides as noted by the pictures.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

roryd

Thanks for the pictures and help