News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

clutch

Started by sovrin, April 21, 2014, 07:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sovrin

Just replaced the friction plates on 86 model.  The new ferodo plates were right at the upper limit for thickness.  The old plates were well below the minimum.
But when I put it all together, the clutch lever does nothing.  Seems like there is so much material in the clutch that there is no room for clutch release.  Lever has free play for most of the throw, then super stiff for the last little bit of squeeze.  Something is not right.  Need advice!

simi_ed

Bleed the clutch system.  Your symptoms sound like air in the slave cylinder.
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

sovrin

Thanks Ed, but I already tried that to no avail.  Next I removed 1 friction plate and 1 steel plate to allow room for clutch release and now the lever works fine, but I know it is not correct to leave it that way.  I want to have all the plates in there.  I just found a big write up in here about clutches.  Gonna read that and see if I come across anything.

racerrad8

Randy - RPM

sovrin

Here is what I know now:  The new friction plates measured .118" which should be perfect.  Service book calls for .114-.122 range.

If I install the whole set, it fills the clutch boss, and then there is no clearance to install the pressure plate to get the teeth to engage

into the clutch boss.  I just figured out that my 86 is a "California" model.  Does anyone know if they have different clutch than all the rest?

I thought the main difference was pollution stuff.  I just dont like knowing I have 7 plates instead of the 8 that should be in there.

I'm baffled.  Open for advice.  Anyone?

aviationfred

Here is the 86' california model clutch breakdown.

#6 and #11 in the drawing are the same part number and the main fiber plates, #9, qty 6 discs.

Hope this helps some.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

racerrad8

How many frictions and how many steels do you have?

Including the friction & steel under the wire ring at the back of the pack?

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

sovrin

Previous owner must have removed the wire ring.  But the new clutch discs have 2 narrow and 6 wide.  Exactly the same scenario as I removed the old ones.  Alternated them with steel plate between each one.  But when all said and done, just too much material there.  I took it apart a 2nd time to see if I got the order wrong, and all is correct, but for some reason it cant hold them all.  Makes no sense whatsoever.  I put the narrow ones in like bookends, 1st and last spot.

racerrad8

I just stacked a clutch boss and the pack is almost flush the the top. But the recess of the pressure plate teeth as well as the recess for the clutch disc allow it to engage.

I wonder if your slave cylinder spring pushed it out too far and now the piston is cocked not allowing it back into the housing. Just for a try, remove the clutch pushrod and see if the pressure plate goes on properly.

If it does, then you have a slave cylinder issue.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

sovrin

Thanks Randy. Really appreciate the advice.  Will be a few days before I cAn get back into it. Will let you all know when I get it solved.

JMR

Quote from: sovrin on May 05, 2014, 06:15:12 PM
Previous owner must have removed the wire ring.  But the new clutch discs have 2 narrow and 6 wide.  Exactly the same scenario as I removed the old ones.  Alternated them with steel plate between each one.  But when all said and done, just too much material there.  I took it apart a 2nd time to see if I got the order wrong, and all is correct, but for some reason it cant hold them all.  Makes no sense whatsoever.  I put the narrow ones in like bookends, 1st and last spot.
Unfortunately that is the case with most aftermarket fiber replacements. Barnett, EBC etc. I only use OEM plates whether it is Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki. The OEM plates hold up under dragracing and roadracing conditions and they fit everytime. The older style Barnett fibers threw a lot of clutch dust into the hole too. This is very visible when you disassemble an engine and see lots of scratches on the piston skirts...you can imagine what it does to the oil pump rotors.