News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Rear brake lever bush

Started by johnnyalpha, April 14, 2014, 04:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyalpha

Hi Folks, FJ1200 3XW 1991 non ABS, approx 40K miles, NOT shiney :)
OK my bike passed it's MOT, the anuual roadworthy test here in the UK,but had one advisory.
This was regarding the "loose" and "slightly wobbly" rear brake lever, due in all likelihood to a
worn bush. NOT a fail, but still I don't like advisory notices and I want to sort it out.

Now this is not a subject covered in the "Hyenas book of lies" :) never seen a Clymer namual so I cant comment.

Have ordered a new bush from " Yambits" here in the UK, P&P costs more then the bush, but hey ho :)
Now, just eyeballing this job, and it looks to me like it could be a wee swine of a job, ONLY because it seems to me, that there is
very little room down there to get the old bush drifted out and the new one back in. My questions are, has anyone done this job?
and do you have to remove the swing arm? :/

Any advice very much appreciated, greetings from Johnny ,(Edinburgh,Scotland)
FJ1200 1991, K75S 1988, CX500 "Bride of Frankenstein"

mz_rider

Quote from: johnnyalpha on April 14, 2014, 04:21:50 AM
Hi Folks, FJ1200 3XW 1991 non ABS, approx 40K miles, NOT shiney :)
OK my bike passed it's MOT, the anuual roadworthy test here in the UK,but had one advisory.
This was regarding the "loose" and "slightly wobbly" rear brake lever, due in all likelihood to a
worn bush. NOT a fail, but still I don't like advisory notices and I want to sort it out.

Now this is not a subject covered in the "Hyenas book of lies" :) never seen a Clymer namual so I cant comment.

Have ordered a new bush from " Yambits" here in the UK, P&P costs more then the bush, but hey ho :)
Now, just eyeballing this job, and it looks to me like it could be a wee swine of a job, ONLY because it seems to me, that there is
very little room down there to get the old bush drifted out and the new one back in. My questions are, has anyone done this job?
and do you have to remove the swing arm? :/

Any advice very much appreciated, greetings from Johnny ,(Edinburgh,Scotland)

Johnny,

Both my FJs have high mileages and have needed this repair. I just packed out the hole with a thin strip of metal (from a Stella Artois can, if memory serves.)

Stuart

johnnyalpha

Ah ! I see !!!!  OK, I see where you are coming from :good2:

Must be something lacking in my education I suppose :)))

MMmhh anyone want to buy a NOS rear brake lever bush, never fitted ???

I thought the old bodge of sorting out worn splines by inserting sewing needles was a top bodge, but this beats that :)
Now I have to select a suitable beverage from which to obtain the neccessary to provide my bush repair materials from, Mmhhhhh any ideas ?

Stella, not really my cup of tea, mmmhh do they do "Skull Splitter" in cans ???

OR I try to do it right, mmmhhhhhh hard decision ? mmmh not really :)))

Johnny (Embra)  :bye:

johnnyalpha

Some of these icons don't turn out as expected, must avoid them from now on !:)

movenon

Welcome. I have not replaced my bushing  but a part answer to your question is no you do not have to pull the swing arm. I would just remove the AL. side plate and then fix it.

To remove the side plate you will have to take the nut off the bolt that go's through the swing arm but the bolt can stay and the swing arm will stay in place. You will have to unbolt the rear brake master cylinder and the the muffler attachment.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: movenon on April 14, 2014, 08:51:45 AM
To remove the side plate you will have to take the nut off the bolt that go's through the swing arm but the bolt can stay and the swing arm will stay in place. You will have to unbolt the rear brake master cylinder and the the muffler attachment.
George

There's a few more screws/bolts that will require removal to get the aluminum side plate off. If memory serves me well, you may also need to remove the foot peg too. Go to website: boats.net and look up the necessary exploded view for your particular year. It may help you.
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

Bminder

Quote from: FJ1100mjk on April 14, 2014, 09:08:45 AM
Quote from: movenon on April 14, 2014, 08:51:45 AM
George

There's a few more screws/bolts that will require removal to get the aluminum side plate off. If memory serves me well, you may also need to remove the foot peg too. Go to website: boats.net and look up the necessary exploded view for your particular year. It may help you.

I like how you are form Minnesota, but your map shows you haven't been to Iowa! Haha, a true Minnesotan!  :lol:
Billy Minder
92 FJ1200 ABS

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: Bminder on April 14, 2014, 12:03:26 PM
I like how you are form Minnesota, but your map shows you haven't been to Iowa! Haha, a true Minnesotan!  :lol:

Bminder:

Map fixed.

For the record, I am from MN, but not a true Minnesotan. I'm a transplant from The Buckeye State. :biggrin:

Marty

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

Bminder

Quote from: FJ1100mjk on April 14, 2014, 04:53:23 PM
Map fixed.

For the record, I am from MN, but not a true Minnesotan. I'm a transplant from The Buckeye State. :biggrin:

Marty

Oh.
You do realize a buckeye is a nut, don't you? Your mascot is a nut.   :lol:
Billy Minder
92 FJ1200 ABS

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: Bminder on April 14, 2014, 07:19:39 PM
Oh.
You do realize a buckeye is a nut, don't you? Your mascot is a nut.   :lol:

Would rather it be a nut, instead of a ground burrowing rodent  :rofl:

I guess we've hijacked johnnyalpha's original post enough. Moving on...

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

johnnyalpha

Thanks for the input,all very entertaining :)
Ok I think I'll give replacing the bush a go :)

One point though, on the 3XW does the swingarm bolt pass through the sideplate ?
I thought that was the earlier versions ?

Cheers and thanks once more , Johnny :)

movenon

Quote from: johnnyalpha on April 14, 2014, 10:40:32 PM
Thanks for the input,all very entertaining :)
Ok I think I'll give replacing the bush a go :)

One point though, on the 3XW does the swingarm bolt pass through the sideplate ?
I thought that was the earlier versions ?

Cheers and thanks once more , Johnny :)

Perhaps I am wrong but all of them have a long bolt going through the side plates (swing arm bolt) The nut is on the right side. Just take the nut off and do not pull out the swing arm bolt.  With the nut and everything else unbolted the right side plate it will come off.

It is an easy job. The hardest part will be getting the spring reattached that holds tension on the brake lever :)..

The nut is item 7  http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/1992-yamaha-fj1200d-swing-arm-assembly.html  Nut TQ is 90 Nm (9.0m.kg, 65 ft lbs).

Not a good photo, but the nut is to the right of the top foot peg bolt.

George

1990 FJ 1200

fj1289

Quote from: movenon on April 14, 2014, 11:04:21 PM

George

George - you are a very sick man -- STOP CLEANING and go riding!!!   :lol:

Seriously, I think if you saw mine in person you'd call protective services on me!   :flag_of_truce:

Chris

movenon

Chris, your still in a snow pile................  :lol:  It is a before shot.... And the only job I have is sitting out front with a cup of coffee at 7:00AM waving bye to all the neighbors going to work..
George

1990 FJ 1200

johnnyalpha

MMMhh it is nice and shiny and soooo clean  :))) 

Aye , I see it,Looks like you are correct, I stand corrected. :)

Grand, righto now I await the bush and then battle will commence :)
Yep the spring can be a wee sod :)

thanks folks, Johnny