News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Wird scary sound from rear wheel

Started by keand3, April 11, 2014, 01:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

Get the old bearing and skim the outer race on a belt sander, bench grinder, angle grinder, anything. You only need to remove a whisker so it's a loose fit, then use that to drive the new bearing in. Only takes a few seconds and you have the perfect size tool.
Monkey is right about the wood putting some of the load on the centre race and is best avoided.

In most cases the axle spacer will be loose with the bearings properly seated.

Freezing / heating, special tools, giant sockets (if you have one that big) etc. all work but makes more of a job of it than it needs to be, they knock it in without much effort.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

keand3

I also use the old socket method,  will try again tomorrow and see if can get the bearing further in. I just hope that is the right one spacer that I've got. Don't was ruin new and perfectly good bearings if ı don't have to..

Cheers
Ken
Whant to check out my photos on the bike??
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=828DDEC8DF631CA5%21103

FJmonkey

Quote from: keand3 on April 11, 2014, 10:07:24 PM
I also use the old socket method,  will try again tomorrow and see if can get the bearing further in. I just hope that is the right one spacer that I've got. Don't was ruin new and perfectly good bearings if ı don't have to..

Cheers
Ken

Bearings don't heal and get better when we fix the problem.... You can't un-fuck them... So I hope you meant trying to install new ones... Right? Nothing but love my friend Ken...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Arnie

Sounds like steel against rubber, (maybe).
Check the carrier blades and rubber buffer thingys.

Much more likely to be one of the bearings, but that's a wierd sound for any of them to be making.
Any chance the tire is rubbing against something?

red

Quote from: FJmonkey on April 11, 2014, 10:13:06 PM
Cheers
Ken
Bearings don't heal and get better when we fix the problem.... You can't un-fuck them... So I hope you meant trying to install new ones... Right? Nothing but love my friend Ken...
Ken,

The FJmonkey is correct.  My comment was aimed at the installation of the NEXT new bearings, not at the noisy ones that you have now.  If axle-nut torque causes so much noise, the bearings (that you just installed) have been side-loaded in a way that has ruined them now.  Please replace those noisy bearings with two new bearings, before they can do serious damage to you or the machine.

Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

keand3

Quote from: FJmonkey on April 11, 2014, 10:13:06 PM
I also use the old socket method,  will try again tomorrow and see if can get the bearing further in. I just hope that is the right one spacer that I've got. Don't was ruin new and perfectly good bearings if ı don't have to..

Cheers
Ken

Hehe...  Yes i meant new ones  :smile:
With Easter just around the corner, and we being a "metric country" and all there isn't a store that's open during Easter. So im in  a hurry to find some correct bearings today, Monday or Tuesday...

I'll need to measure the inner spacer to so that I'm surtain is the FZR spacer.

keand3

Quote from: red on April 11, 2014, 10:45:35 PM
Ken,

The FJmonkey is correct.  My comment was aimed at the installation of the NEXT new bearings, not at the noisy ones that you have now.  If axle-nut torque causes so much noise, the bearings (that you just installed) have been side-loaded in a way that has ruined them now.  Please replace those noisy bearings with two new bearings, before they can do serious damage to you or the machine.

Cheers,
Red
[/quote]

Okey, finally its day time over here, and I am awake to read the threads more thoroughly. I see that I have been explaining my own processes rather poorly  :dash2: :dash2:

Installment:
I am aware of not hitting the inner ring so I am using an old socket gently on the bearings. This is how I installed the bearings on my rim.

The sprocket carrier came from DOC i FJ UK Club with a new bearing in, so in times of desperation (a sick FJ equals a desperate time!! :yes: ) i grabbed a wood (NO JOKES  :lol:) tried to seat it better. I noticed it looked like it was not all the way in. So realizing that the wood thing was kinda stupid I replaced the bearing on the sprocket carrier. Had one spare from the All Balls kit i bought since it was allready installed.

I took a closer look at the bearings on the rim, and the seems to be properly installed and working like the should. Can't really find any thing odd as of now.

I mounted the rim back on, but this time around I used the spacer for the disc side that came withe kit, 12mm spacer. (some of you might remember the clearings issues i had withe the caliper on this) As of now, I am not able to recreate the sound any more when i spin the wheel. But I haven't been able to torque the axle nut to 150nm, or 110 ft lb if you like, as the manual says so I have to wait for a helping hand, before I can see if the sound apearse again on propper torque..

I find all of this rather strange... Replacing bearings, taking wheel on and off should be a pretty straight forward, and I can't find any obviuse foult in my working methode. But I Im surtain you guys will be able to spot the "gorilla"  :rofl2:
The Monkey Business Illusion

keand3

Damn it..  It really is annoying.  The sound is still there and i can't for the life of my find out what it is.

I have ordered new bearings that arrives on Tuesday, so i removed the "old" bearings today. All but one. The bearing on the disc side is stuck, completely stuck and my bearing removal tool did not manage to get it out. I might need have a shop  press it out. Perhaps that's the reason? That i might have installed it slightly offset, causing it to be flush with the rim?

I will get the new bearings machine pressed on theis time around. But i did noticed something else too. Quit peculiar if you ask me.
I liked at my old sprocket carrier and found to my surprise a part that i don't have on my new sprocket carrier,  the 36Y-25377-00-00 COLLAR,WHEEL.

This might be  a stupid question,  but this part did not follow with the new carrier i bought, so i figured i bought it as "plug and play" and haven't even consider it until now.
Im guessing its needed,  but any one with the fzr mod that could enlightened me,  or anyone with the knowledge on it.

Cheers

racerrad8

The has to be a spacer between the cush drive bearing and the left wheel bearing.

If not when you torque down the axle the inner races are not held center in the outer race and it ruins the bearing in short order.

You also have the spacer between the two wheel in the wheel correct?

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

keand3

Quote from: racerrad8 on April 13, 2014, 12:54:49 PM
The has to be a spacer between the cush drive bearing and the left wheel bearing.

If not when you torque down the axle the inner races are not held center in the outer race and it ruins the bearing in short order.

You also have the spacer between the two wheel in the wheel correct?

Randy - RPM

:dash2: :dash2: :dash2: :dash2:
F&%#&% No wonder things diden't add up..

Randy, yes I have the spacer's on both side. Not sure what you mean with "You also have the spacer between the two wheel in the wheel correct?" (my english might be off....)
But I have the spacers on the right (disc) side between the bearing and caliper tourque arm, the inner spacer and the left spacer between the cush drive bearing and swingarm...

Damn I feel stupid right now... How it is possible to ignore a crusial part like that??  :dash1: :dash1: :crazy: :crazy:

Well, hopefully next time I install the rear wheel, with the wheel collar between cushdrive bearing and wheel bearing, the sound is hopfully not there anymore..

Nothing else to say but leasson learned... :pardon: :pardon: :flag_of_truce: :flag_of_truce:

Thanks for the info Randy...

aviationfred

I think the part that Randy mentioned is Number 12 in the drawing. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1990/FZR1000A/REAR+WHEEL/parts.html

I could not remember if you have a FZR1000 or a GSXR rear wheel. Both have a similar spacer. An easy item to leave out when assembling the wheel. I did forgot to install mine after I had the wheel powder coated. The sprocket carrier would not seat into the wheel correctly with out the spacer.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

keand3

Yes, it's the past nr 12  :smile:

I have the FZR1000 wheel on the back so the part is interchangeable, luckily  :good2:
Will be sure to get it on when i have gotten the new bearings in...

But hey,  on the bright side I'll get to clean that white rim thoroughly  :yahoo: