News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Fuel gage

Started by sparky, April 05, 2014, 09:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky

Hello  I just found this site and was trying to figure out why my fuel gage just stop working . it was working great went on a long ride and out of nowhere just stop I testes the float and it seems to be working any ideas ? would be great ! 1989 fj 1200

rktmanfj

Quote from: sparky on April 05, 2014, 09:28:26 PM
Hello  I just found this site and was trying to figure out why my fuel gage just stop working . it was working great went on a long ride and out of nowhere just stop I testes the float and it seems to be working any ideas ? would be great ! 1989 fj 1200

Whatever you do, please don't post pics...      :biggrin:

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

FJmonkey

Welcome Sparky, we are shameless and opportunistic when it comes to humor. Thanks for helping us out with that. Where in the world are you? Sounds like you might need some help finding an electrical short or fault. Possibly a fuse. Hey!!! What do you need a fuel gauge for? That is too new fangled crap. The FJ is my first bike with a fuel gauge, I use miles on the trip meter.... Just figure out your average mileage and who the hell needs a fuel level gauge???? 
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Joe Sull

Quote from: FJmonkey on April 05, 2014, 10:48:42 PM
Welcome Sparky, we are shameless and opportunistic when it comes to humor. Thanks for helping us out with that. Where in the world are you? Sounds like you might need some help finding an electrical short or fault. Possibly a fuse. Hey!!! What do you need a fuel gauge for? That is too new fangled crap. The FJ is my first bike with a fuel gauge, I use miles on the trip meter.... Just figure out your average mileage and who the hell needs a fuel level gauge???? 

With a handle like "Skarky", he's got to be and electrical engineer, Monkey :biggrin:.
It's got to be mechanical otherwise he would have checked for continuity and even know the impedance on the coil. 
You Keep What you kill

TexasDave

Being an electrical engineer doesn't always help. Twenty years ago I got a service call to a residence. Old man met me at the door. Said wife wanted a new light fixture over the sink. He bought one that uses a six inch nice frosted bulb. It would not work after he installed it. He said he then replaced the switch. Would not work. He then replaced the circuit breaker and still did not work. Then he had to call for help. If this old guy had done all this I had to know  where his knowledge came from. He said he was a retired electrical engineer from LTV Corp. I removed the bulb and tested the socket for voltage which was just fine as I had suspected. Tested the brand new six inch bulb for continuity and as I suspected it was bad. I had seen this before with these bulbs. The old man was really mad. He cursed and said "I guess this is the price I pay for stupidity." I said "no sir this is the price you pay for experience." Still had to charge him for the service call. That was an expensive light fixture. This is one reason I hang out on this forum. Members with WAY more experience than I have give good advice.  Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

fintip

fjowners.wikidot.com

Not everyone understands what a completely rational process this maintenance of a motorcycle is. They think it's some kind of a knack or some kind of affinity for machines in operation. They are right, but the knack is almost purely a process of reason.
-ZAMM

IBA:54952

airheadPete

""Whatever you do, please don't post pics...      :biggrin:  ""

What, are you afraid his floats are bigger than yours? :pardon:
Shocking! :dance2:
'92 FJ1200.    '84 R100CS
'78 GS750E.   '81 R100RS
'76 R90/6       '89 R100GS
'65 R60/2