News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Spring starting blues

Started by squidley63, April 05, 2014, 05:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squidley63

Spring is finally around the corner in NY and I decided to start to get the fj ready for the season only to have issues with getting it out of hibernation. I had shut off the fuel after running it for about 20 minutes with stabilizer in ethanol free gas in their tank. I hooked up the freshly charged battery and let the fuel pump cycle a few times opened the bottom of 2 carbs to ensure I have gas to the carbs. Kicked the engine over with no start or even a stumble. Best I've gotten is a few chugs.

Plugs look good and have good spark. I guess I need to dig into the carbs yet again to get it purring again. Fun of owning an older bike I guess.

movenon

Put the battery in good charge and give her a shot of starting fluid.  She might clean up after she runs a little.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

oldktmdude

If you haven't already done it, do the coil relay mod. This will help alot when the battery's not at it's best.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

squidley63

I have the battery back on the battery tender. I am planning on checking the other 2 carbs for fuel in the morning. I will probably pick up some starter fluid to see if it will take off. Any other tips on how to get it to start up before I pull off the carbs to see what's going on?  I didn't mention in my last post that I drained the fuel bowls after letting it run with the fuel off until it stalled so in theory the carbs should have been completely dry.

I haven't done the coil mod yet but it is on my short list of things to get done.

movenon

Not a fan of draining the carbs.. Have faith she will start. Give a shot of fluid.
George

1990 FJ 1200

big r

Hey gentlemen, here is a tip for starter fluid. Use WD 40 works really well and there is no fear of drying out the cylinder walls. The stuff works awesome. I have used it on bikes and lots of other engines including starting a car that sat for 5 years. Big R

squidley63

I'm guessing my carbs are lonely and want me to fondle them some. I have tried full of gas with stabilizer and that required a teardown and clean and now drained of all fuel which is telling me they want cleaned again. I may have to come up with yet another way to store or move to somewhere I don't have to store the bike.  It will run on starter fluid, has gas in the carbs, but will not run on its own.

I only have about 2 tanks through the motor since my last rebuild in the fall. I may take to work and use our more aggressive sonic cleaners to make sure every bit of gunk is out of the carbs and will definitely do the coil relay mod before trying it again.

squidley63

Update on my issue. I opened up my carbs and found them to be functionally clean just a little gunk at the bottom of the bowls. I blew out all the passages in the carbs and all seemed to be good to go. I did have fuel in tyhed carbs on disassembly. I'm scratching my head on this a bit now.

I pulled the plugs and they are a little wet appearing. I had checked spark with an extra plug I have for a quick check without removal. I checked spark again with the plugs I removed and all was well. I'm not going to get new plugs until Monday or Tuesday so in the meantime I'm going to do the coil relay and check compression to rule out a motor issue.

I can tell you indefinitely going to change how I store the fj in the future maybe start it every couple of weeks or something very frustrated at the moment.

Joe Sull

Did you clean out the tiny holes in the emulsion tubes? I have a little outboard engine that needed the carb cleaned. I cleaned it good, cleaned the emulsion tube holes with a pin and tried it. Wouldn't run without full choke. Took it apart again and used a torch tip cleaner on the little holes. Presto, purrs like a kitten.
You Keep What you kill

movenon

I know it is a little late but I use this in my bike, mower, lawn equip etc. and never have a problem in the spring. Wally world has the stuff usually in the boat section. 

I think if it will run on starting fluid then it is not your coil etc..  I think it is in the fuel system.
George

1990 FJ 1200

Charlie-brm

My '84 was left outside under a fabric cover this winter. I think we shared the same winter conditions as in NY.
The dampness did a number on the surfaces of the carbs. Basically they felt rough to the touch. I'll save you the long version — pull off the left side cover and check if the enrichener plunger on the far left carb is moving in conjunction with your handlebar control.
If not, you've got some lubing to do along the cable, the long choke rod, springs and plungers.

Here's the long version:
Pulled off the left plastic side cover. I could see the enrichener plunger on the far left carb was not responding in/out as I twisted the control on the handle bar. Grabbing it with my fingers, I could pull it out.
So off comes the tank; worked in penetrating lubricant along the length of the choke rod and felt for roughness on the rod anywhere near where it has to slide through. Got that nice and loose, then sprayed lube inside the cable and worked that through. (Even if it appears to be moving OK, I think the life of any flex cable is extended by reducing the effort it takes to actuate it). Finished by shooting lube at the plungers and working them in and out until the whole system was moving easily.

After that, the control rotated back much further and I could see all the plungers responding properly. Bike started on the first hit after that, just like the last time it ran before I wrapped it up.
Good luck.
If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012

squidley63

I finally have my bike running. Still need to synch and adjust the carbs but after a long soak and blowing everything clear several times it is fired up and idles. I can definitely say it was all my own doing by not taking the time to clean and reclean out the passages in the carbs. I ended up taking the carbs down to individual carbs, running them through my ultrasonic cleaner and then for good measure I dunked them in at boiling water for a good rinse.  As I assembled I sprayed each through with carb cleaner and blew everything dry. As they say the devil is in the details.

andyb

Quote from: movenon on April 12, 2014, 06:41:11 PM
I know it is a little late but I use this in my bike, mower, lawn equip etc. and never have a problem in the spring. Wally world has the stuff usually in the boat section. 

I think if it will run on starting fluid then it is not your coil etc..  I think it is in the fuel system.
George

Use what, good sir?

I use star-tron or something myself.  Seems nicer than stabil.

Quote from: squidley63 on April 22, 2014, 07:56:35 AM
I finally have my bike running. Still need to synch and adjust the carbs but after a long soak and blowing everything clear several times it is fired up and idles. I can definitely say it was all my own doing by not taking the time to clean and reclean out the passages in the carbs. I ended up taking the carbs down to individual carbs, running them through my ultrasonic cleaner and then for good measure I dunked them in at boiling water for a good rinse.  As I assembled I sprayed each through with carb cleaner and blew everything dry. As they say the devil is in the details.

Good job!  Feels good to have it start and run, yes?  And you've re-impressed yourself with doing it right once takes less time than doing it twice.  :) 

movenon

Quote from: andyb on April 22, 2014, 08:35:18 AM
Quote from: movenon on April 12, 2014, 06:41:11 PM

George

Use what, good sir?

I use star-tron or something myself.  Seems nicer than stabil.

Quote from: squidley63 on April 22, 2014, 07:56:35 AM

Good job!  Feels good to have it start and run, yes?  And you've re-impressed yourself with doing it right once takes less time than doing it twice.  :) 

Oops, no link...  :dash2: Yes I was reffering to Star-Tron.  I also carry a bottle with me in the tank bag and add some most every time I refuel. It is good stuff.  I have had a lot better luck with it than Stabil.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron//content/view/100/136/lang,en/
George

1990 FJ 1200