News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Blown engine in Las Vegas. Very bad situation.

Started by David Allaband, March 02, 2014, 11:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Allaband

Thanks for advice everyone.

Will the FJ1100 motor fit in my 1991 FJ1200 ABS?
----------------------
Sometimes the fear won't go away, so you'll have to do it afraid.
Los Angeles, CA
1/3 1987 - 1/3 1989 - 1/3 1993 FJ1200

skymasteres

Absolutely. You just have to transfer over your crank sensor from the 1200 motor. (They're different between the two.)
The FJ1100 on is on the left. My guess is they changed it when they went digital on the ignition boxes...

that and the alternator difference.

David Allaband

Cool, thanks! I have a line on a couple 1100s. Is there a writeup or thread that talks about this? I couldn't find anything. The 2 alternators in the picture look different, will the 1200 match up to the 1100? Are the carbs different on the 1100 and 1200? Do all the wiring connections just match right up?

Thanks again!
----------------------
Sometimes the fear won't go away, so you'll have to do it afraid.
Los Angeles, CA
1/3 1987 - 1/3 1989 - 1/3 1993 FJ1200

jscgdunn

The 3Xw engine is a bit different...I just put one into a 3cv.  In general, the 3xw uses much larger mounting bolts and different mounting points to the frame.  In your case (I think) the bushings on the front upper mounts will be smaller on the 1100.  You may have to replace or drill them out.  The back mount should be ok; if you were going the other way you would find that the 3xw engine does not have the rear lower mounts drilled out to accept the lower through bolt.  Check the differences in mounting on partzilla.  You will need the 1100 carbs as they are gravity versus fuel pump; or rebuild the 3xw carbs to 100 spec.
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

giantkiller

Couldn't he just use the carbs off the current engine. And just stick them on the 1100. Alternator wise just use the one that is on the 1100 motor? Or if the motor he gets doesn't have one would the 1200 alternator bolt up minus the one bolt?
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

skymasteres

Well all the info I have about mating the two different engines is right here. http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=7691.435
and some on the next page.

You should be able to use your existing carbs. There is not that much of a difference airflow wise between the two engines. You might run slightly rich, but that shouldn't be a big deal. It'd certainly be better than running some gummed up carbs off an engine that's been sitting.

The only thing you need to do to run the two bolt alternator is get a grade 8 or better bolt for the one that's closest to the jugs. Otherwise it'll break and the alternator will come loose.

Tiger

Quote from: skymasteres on March 05, 2014, 07:22:37 PM
The only thing you need to do to run the two bolt alternator is get a grade 8 or better bolt

...in METRIC terms that equates to: grade 10.9, (for hex heads).

Socket heads should come in at grade 12.9.

John.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in an attractive & well preserved body...but rather to slide in sideways, body completely worn out and and with your last dying breath screaming, "HOOOYA LIFE, lets try that again"!!!

skymasteres

Lol, yeah. I used a grade 12.9 socket head bolt on mine when the grade 5 failed. (Or whatever the standard for basic stuff is...)

red

Quote from: David Allaband on March 03, 2014, 05:39:41 PMThanks for ideas everyone.
George: Yes it was the spin on oil filter adapter with the FLO reusable oil filter. I checked it in NYC and then again in North Carolina. By Texas it was falling off. It came with no torque specification. I wanted to ask the list but every time I ask the list for a torque I get a hail of feedback that I should just go by feel. This is what going by feel got me. And this is the second time an improper torque on this FJ cost me a great deal.
David,

Man, that is a rough loss.  Hope things turn upward for you soon.  I appreciate hearing about the problem, really, because I never would have expected an oil filter to come loose like that.  Removing an old oil filter is often more of a problem, here.  I plan to get the right size hose clamp to surround my oil filter, and run a safety wire through the clamp screw housing, then to something solid on the bike.  I have an aircraft background, and everything (including oil filters) get safety-wired on a plane.  To "hide" the clamp, I will use use black heat-shrink tubing on the clamp band (a one-time deal) that matches the black color of the oil filter.  I do not doubt that a hose clamp could crush the oil filter if set too tight, so the heat-shrink tubing will give the clamp a better, cushioned grip also. 
Thank you, truly, for the heads-up.  You may have saved a few engines, here.    :hi:   

Best wishes,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

FJscott

Regarding torque specs spin on oil filters the industry standard for installing a new filter is
to first lubricate the rubber seal with fresh oil, spin on until hand tight and then 1/4 turn
past hand tight.

Scott

movenon

Quote from: FJscott on March 07, 2014, 02:48:53 PM
Regarding torque specs spin on oil filters the industry standard for installing a new filter is
to first lubricate the rubber seal with fresh oil, spin on until hand tight and then 1/4 turn
past hand tight.

Scott

Did some very minor trolling for information on the "FLO" filters and filters coming loose.  Some of the 4 wheeler's have reported the K&N's coming loose they seem to think it was the seal design.  I don't know, it's over my head.  I did notice that the "FLO" filter case is drilled for safety wire. Why is that ??

After a light review I think I will just stay with the NAPA Gold or WIX spin on's...... Never had a problem and I change oil way before it is due so it see's a fresh filter most of the time.  One nice thing about the spin on oil filter is that is sooooo easy to change. The old canister system was a pain in the ass.

I hope David get it sorted out.  At one time I knew where an engine was in LSV but the owner has since relocated back to the East coast to attend to family affairs. 
George

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

FJscott

The Engineroom of the ship I work on has 5 Caterpillar Diesel Engines each with 4 spin-on filters, 2 oil 2 fuel.
I change these filters at every 250 hour service (10 days) so we go through a lot of filters. In an effort to reduce maintenance costs we looked into the re-usable filters. Caterpillar said if we did it would void any warranty they carried. that was good enough for me.

I'm with you George, I change my oil/filter way earlier than required but with the spin-on adapter its too easy not to.
and the cost of the filter is about the same as a cheeseburger.

Scott

ribbert

Quote from: red on March 07, 2014, 02:16:12 PM

I plan to get the right size hose clamp to surround my oil filter, and run a safety wire through the clamp screw housing, then to something solid on the bike. 

Best wishes,
Red

That's really not necessary. Oil filters do not come loose. Even a lightly fitted one will tighten up over time. As a mechanic for many years I have NEVER seen or heard of one coming loose.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

simi_ed

-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

novaraptor

Hey Dave, PM'd you. Didn't see this earlier..sorry.
Novaraptor
1990 FJ1200
Ride fast, live free... I forget the rest...