News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Possible fuel guage fix

Started by mr blackstock, March 01, 2014, 03:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr blackstock

Hello all,

During my recent dramas with FJ1100 electrics I may have stumbled across one possible reason the fuel guage bounces so bloody much on some bikes.  The wiring block connecting the loom to the dash has been problematic on my bike. 

When I hold it a certain way the tach is steady and the fuel guage does not bounce, if I wiggle it, the tacho and fuel guage bounce!?

Also, I read on this forum from someone, a suggestion to earth the fuel tank to the battery negative, great idea!  I did just that and the fuel guage has never been steadier....until I started man-handling the wiring block to the headlight....

I suspect that wiring block may be needing replacing..

cheers, Gareth
Squeaky wheels always get the grease...

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

movenon

Quote from: mr blackstock on March 01, 2014, 03:01:21 AM
Hello all,

During my recent dramas with FJ1100 electrics I may have stumbled across one possible reason the fuel guage bounces so bloody much on some bikes.  The wiring block connecting the loom to the dash has been problematic on my bike.  

When I hold it a certain way the tach is steady and the fuel guage does not bounce, if I wiggle it, the tacho and fuel guage bounce!?

Also, I read on this forum from someone, a suggestion to earth the fuel tank to the battery negative, great idea!  I did just that and the fuel guage has never been steadier....until I started man-handling the wiring block to the headlight....

I suspect that wiring block may be needing replacing..

cheers, Gareth

I am in the process of doing some wiring at the present time.  I have had a gut feeling that the ground system in the FJ could be improved for some time.  I guess no harm done, I ran one 10ga ground wire from the battery up to the front of the bike bolting it to the frame.  I use that also for ground tie in for running lights, heated grips, 12volt power plug, aftermarket horns etc..

Just for information to anyone adding a bundle of wire going up front,  I have had better luck running the new wires up the left side of the bike. The right side is pretty tight with the stock Yamaha bundle in the fairing area.  It was easier for me on the left side.

Like I said no harm done and now there is a good grounding point up front to tie into.  Good information on the fuel gauge and tach trouble shooting.
It will interesting if someone else with the problem gives it a try and reports in.

Glad you are getting it sorted out. You are adding good information.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

Skymasteres reported this problem and recently I noticed it as well. My GPS blocks the view of my fuel gauge so it may have been doing it for a year or so. I really don't care as I have always used my trip meter for fuel level. But Mikey will try it, he will try anything...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Pat Conlon

Re: bad grounds. Yea, this condition will not get better as our bikes get older.
Take a look at any FJ wiring diagram and look at the number of connectors on those black wires.
It just takes one bad connection and good luck finding it. Easier to run a new ground.
Jon Cain has always recommended to run a ground to your upper triple clamp for your handlebar switches.
The ground path thru your neck bearings is thus avoided.

Good catch Gareth.....
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

skymasteres

Good grief, this issue has been plaguing me for a long time now. I've run new grounds, cleaned the connections, and looked that the wiring diagram to see where the issue could be.

That makes sense if it's something inside the connector. That would also account for the intermittent nature of the problem. I'll report back when I get a chance to look at it and see if that does it this time.