News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

help please

Started by scott ele, February 19, 2014, 07:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott ele

Hey everyone, i have kind of a noob question. i just replaced all of the clutch friction plates and steel plates on my 85. now it wont go into any gear. is there a diagram that anyone knows of that i can use to make sure i did it right? i just bought this a month ago and the entire clutch boss was pulled out. I did find one diagram and put ti together from that but it wasnt to detailed. Also what would be the best way to bleed the clutch lever / slave. sorry if this was already asked, i tried to read through to find it but couldnt. thanks

movenon

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Arnie

IF your clutch pushrod is not fully releasing the pressure plate, you will have difficulty in changing any gears.  If there is air in the clutch line, you won't get a full release.

Best way to bleed the clutch?? Don't know, but here's one good way:
Drain as much clutch fluid as possible from the bleeder on the slave.
Refill the system from that slave bleeder (wrap it with teflon tape so it doesn't leak) with a large hypodermic syringe till the clutch master reservoir is about 1/2 full.
Tie the clutch lever to the bar overnight, and tap all along the clutch line to dislodge any air bubbles.
Now, bleed as normal if necessary.

movenon

Local farm stores usually have the syringes. Just bought one today for 2.00.
George

1990 FJ 1200

FJ_Hooligan

You need to expand on the description "won't go into any gear."  

Does this mean the shifter won't move, or it does move but doesn't engage any gears, or it engages gears, but the bike won't go.
Does the clutch lever feel like it has pressure? Did you have this problem before the repair?  

Your description makes no sense.  The clutch shouldn't affect the shift lever's ability to stir the gears in the transmission.  
The clutch will make a difference on whether the crank power/rotation will be transmitted to the transmission input shaft.
DavidR.

scott ele

sorry, yes it wont go into any gear what so ever, the shifter moves but will not engage in any gear.  when i try it the foot lever wont slip into any gear. it dosent matter if the key is on or not. i had it going into second and neutral before i started it up, but after i ran it for about a minute it wont go into anything. i tried bleeding it like i do for breaks on a car, but the lever still has no pressure.

FJ_Hooligan

Again, the ability to change gears is totally separate from the function of the clutch.  Sounds like something is not assembled correctly.

Put the bike on the centerstand and rotate the rear wheel while changing gears.  Sometimes when static with nothing moving the gears will not properly mesh giving the impression that the gear shift lever is not doing anything.  Slightly rotating the rear wheel can help the gears mesh.

Report back
DavidR.

movenon

Just a question.  By and below the clutch slave cylinder is the paint in good shape or all peeled ? Have you pulled the clutch slave off yet ?
George

Note: If you remove the slave cylinder do not start the engine. There is a push rod and a ball bearing behind the slave. If you start the engine it will eject the rod and small ball bearing.... The rod you will probably find,  the bearing might be a problem..

1990 FJ 1200

scott ele

ok on the center stand i can get it to engage in all gears without the clutch handle getting pulled, and as for the paint, just a little is missing from where i bled it out. i didnt start the engine until everything was reassembled. and i found the ball down in the oil and put it back on the clutch boss side. The only thing i really didnt do was torque the bolts on the outside spring plate. i tightened them till snug. im gonna ask one of the guys at where i work to borrow an inch lb torque wrench tomorrow as i havent been able to add that to my collection yet.

FJ_Hooligan

Bad slave cylinder.  See RPM Randy for a rebuild kit
Or it's just not bled correctly.
DavidR.

movenon

Kind of sounds like that. I would kit it first and then see where your at.

http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Clutch%3AS%2FK

New cylinders are also available.
George

1990 FJ 1200

FJ_Hooligan

George,
I thought it was established that the ball will not be ejected if started with the slave not installed.  Those that reported doing this simply had to reinstall the pushrod.  The ball bearing was not ejected.

You're not going to be able to make a decent diagnosis until you get lever pressure on the clutch
DavidR.

scott ele

not sure if it matters but every time i pull the clutch lever i have bubbles comming out. i have done this for about a half an hour and am still getting bubbles. Oh and Thank you all for the help, if you are ever in or around dublin ohio and need help with your cars let me know. i work at mr tire off bridge street

ribbert

Quote from: scott ele on February 19, 2014, 09:03:56 PM
The only thing i really didnt do was torque the bolts on the outside spring plate. i tightened them till snug

You may well have hydraulic issues, but those clutch bolts are only tightened to 8nm's, that's not much more than finger tight and DIY's are notorious for over tightening everything, you know, just to be sure!

Quote from: scott ele on February 19, 2014, 07:27:56 PM
.....i just bought this a month ago and the entire clutch boss was pulled out.

Am I reading this correctly that you bought the bike with the clutch already disassembled?

Clutch bleeding seems to give a lot of trouble here. The clutch line is short and all uphill so it will naturally want to self bleed. Even if you can get just enough lever to make it rideable, a bit of riding with engine vibrations and use will see it come up nicely in a very short time. It is possible to waste a lot of time and fluid trying to get the lever perfect in the garage.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

scott ele

yep. i bought it with the clutch dissembled already. it was to good of a deal to pass up, especially since i work in a auto shop. but alas i have found out that motorcycles while running off the same ideals as cars are different from autos.