News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Ugh! Really bad news. I discovered my frame is cracked!

Started by Ack535, October 13, 2013, 10:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

I bought my bike at very low mileage and stripped it right down (just the motor and wiring loom left) as soon as I got it home. The only thing I found wrong was the highlighted lower bolt sheared. You can still just see where the paint has rubbed off from the movement. I replaced it with a high tensile bolt and have had no issue since. Given my experience with FJ#2  I check them all periodically and nothing has changed in 75,000 km. Makes you wonder then why so many come loose or break.

I wouldn't be too worried about the frame alignment as it hasn't separated and it hasn't been in an accident. I believe with a bit of mucking around the crack could be drawn together prior to welding.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Bozo

Have you checked if there is rust internally causing the frame walls to turn paper thin, sometimes the outside looks new but the inside might have water, just a thought.
First major bike in my life was a Mach III widow maker.
My Second permanent bike 1978 Z1R (owned since Dec 1977)
My Third permanent bike is the 89 FJ12 - nice and fast
Forth bike 89 FJ12 my totally standard workhorse
81 GPZ1100 hybrid - what a bike, built to sell but I can't part with it