News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

'89- No headlight or inst. cluster backlights

Started by coreyoreo, September 18, 2013, 09:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coreyoreo

Hey, all...

Just got home from work & noticed my headlight was out, no big deal. Then when it got dark, I noticed that the instrument cluster back lights were not working either. However, my cluster indicator lights, i.e., turn signals, neutral, etc. still work fine. 

Checked the fuse(s) under the seat & all are fine. Headlight is fine, works in another socket. Obviously, it's a wiring issue.

Any ideas on where else to check? I'd love to do this without totally removing that confounded fairing if at all possible...

Thanks in advance for any ideas!!

Corey
Corey
'89 FJ1200

movenon

Quote from: coreyoreo on September 18, 2013, 09:57:08 PM
Hey, all...

Just got home from work & noticed my headlight was out, no big deal. Then when it got dark, I noticed that the instrument cluster back lights were not working either. However, my cluster indicator lights, i.e., turn signals, neutral, etc. still work fine. 

Checked the fuse(s) under the seat & all are fine. Headlight is fine, works in another socket. Obviously, it's a wiring issue.

Any ideas on where else to check? I'd love to do this without totally removing that confounded fairing if at all possible...

Thanks in advance for any ideas!!

Corey

With your cluster lights not functioning and headlight not functioning I would check the light switch connectors and high low beam switch. You will have to remove the left side dash panel, there is 2 connectors wired to your switch.

Hope it helps ?
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

coreyoreo

Thanks, George, I will do just that & post the result. Thanks again.  :smile:
Corey
'89 FJ1200

Capn Ron

Hey Corey!

Seems strange that the headlight AND instrument backlighting would go out at the same time.  Something's in common with the both of them.  I always start with gounds.  There are...I think...two that screw to the instrument panel sub-frame.  You'll have to do a lot of feeling around up there, but if you happen to stumble upon a dangling wire with a ring connector on the end of it...there's your culprit.

After that, I'd be checking connectors on the harness that may carry the voltage for both of those.  Along the right side of that subframe, you'll find a couple connectors that you *may* be able to reach:

Beyond that, there are wiring harness connectors up under the dash cluster, but they would be tough to get to:

You might be able to work your way up behind the fairing with the key on to see if you get intermittent flickering of lights.

Cap'n Ron. . .
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

fj1289

Dont have a service manual handy, but are both of them on the same circuit?  The one that gets cut when if the starter button is pressed in?  Or if the button hangs up a little and does not return to fully out?  Try a little WD40 around the start button to free it up in the short term if so.

RichBaker

Classic symptoms of the START button sticking in slightly, before tearing everything apart, pull out on the outboard end of the START switch!!!
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

FJmonkey

Quote from: RichBaker on September 19, 2013, 08:32:29 PM
Classic symptoms of the START button sticking in slightly, before tearing everything apart, pull out on the outboard end of the START switch!!!
Beat me to that Rich, I fixed Mike's bike on the spot during the WCR. He fired it up and lost the lights... Looked at me and had that WTF look in his eyes... I told him to check the starter switch, a quick jiggle and all was well... I sent him a bill for $50...  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

coreyoreo

Thanks Cap'n Ron, fj1289, Rich & Monkey for the help.

I tried the WD40 on the start button trick & nuthin' doing. Not even a flicker. So it looks like I'll be operating on the switch this weekend hoping it's that simple.

And thanks Cap'n Ron for the great reference pics. Looks like I may need them.

I WILL report back.

Corey
Corey
'89 FJ1200

Capn Ron

Quote from: fj1289 on September 19, 2013, 04:07:01 AM
Dont have a service manual handy, but are both of them on the same circuit?  The one that gets cut when if the starter button is pressed in?  Or if the button hangs up a little and does not return to fully out?  Try a little WD40 around the start button to free it up in the short term if so.

As soon as I read your post I thought...well, THAT makes sense!  So I immediately went to the garage and did a key-on, lights-on bump of the starter switch.  On my '92, the lights don't go out during starting...just dim a bit as you would expect with big starting loads.  I wonder if this is a feature of earlier bikes?

Cap'n Ron. . .
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

coreyoreo

Just an update... No go on the connectors that I can reach. Took apart both the start button switch & the hi-lo switch & cleaned out any crud, but there wasn't much.The hi-low switch & harness is brand new (NOS).

Can't seem to see or feel any loose wires...

Looks like I'll be removing the fairing & see if I can locate anything else.  :dash2:

It's GOTTA be something simple!!
Corey
'89 FJ1200

FJmonkey

Bugger mate, I hope you find it. Post up when you do, so we can all have a good laugh and tease you till we can't stand it.... And then remember to check under our own fairings to make sure we don't have the same issue...  :good2:

coreyoreo

Quote from: FJmonkey on September 21, 2013, 08:35:56 PM
Bugger mate, I hope you find it. Post up when you do, so we can all have a good laugh and tease you till we can't stand it.... And then remember to check under our own fairings to make sure we don't have the same issue...  :good2:

Yup... I'm thinkin' I'll be having that comin' to me!!  :smile:

I'll let ya know...
Corey
'89 FJ1200

FJmonkey

Quote from: coreyoreo on September 21, 2013, 09:06:40 PM
Yup... I'm thinkin' I'll be having that comin' to me!!  :smile:

I'll let ya know...

Yep, the more we beat you up, the more you know that we love you....  :praising: