News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

It's not the float/needle - but gas is still leaking from hose. HELP

Started by aslovik, August 19, 2013, 10:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fj11.5

When I went through my 88,s carbs , 2 of the float needles had the small plunger/spring siezed  in the needle, so float heights couldn't be set ,and would of been off if I hadn't changed the needles
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

aslovik

Quote from: fj11.5 on August 21, 2013, 05:18:04 PM
When I went through my 88,s carbs , 2 of the float needles had the small plunger/spring siezed  in the needle, so float heights couldn't be set ,and would of been off if I hadn't changed the needles

I just ordered two new needles. I sure hope that is it - I am running out of options.

Adam

FJ_Hooligan

So the other 2 needles were is good working order?  If the cost was not huge, why not go ahead and replace all 4?

Do you have the carb hardware kit?  If not, get one!  That will at least get you new o-rings.
DavidR.

aslovik

I replaced the o-rings. Is it supposed to be hard to put the needle seat back? I had to use a punch and tap it with a hammer. It came out very easily - maybe that was the problem?

I also replaced two of the needles, but am thinking that I need to replace the other two as well - since, even with the new o-rings, it is still leaking but only on one side. The two that I didn't replace don't have any 'springiness' in then when I push down on them. Might that be a problem?

I guess the carbs are coming out again - this will be number 4...

Any help?

Adam

racerrad8

Did you put a light coat of oil on the o-ring before trying to install?

The rubber is trying to grip the carb body and if you drove them in you might have torn them.

If the internal damping spring of the other two needles are not working then they could cause an overflow.

You also need to make sure you measure the float level at an angle and not with the float weight compressing the needles.

This kit makes things much easier; S/S Screw & O-Ring Carburetor Kit

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

aslovik

Quote from: racerrad8 on August 25, 2013, 07:25:25 PM

The rubber is trying to grip the carb body and if you drove them in you might have torn them.

If the internal damping spring of the other two needles are not working then they could cause an overflow.

You also need to make sure you measure the float level at an angle and not with the float weight compressing the needles.

Randy - RPM

Of course I didn't put oil on the o-rings. That would have made total sense and been too easy!  :dash2:

I got the o-rings from you when I ordered two needles. I will order another two needles... crap.

If only I can go on one more ride before snow....

Mattman

Hi Adam,
I had the exact same problem with my 89, I found one of the floats 'sticky' I had all the float bowls off the carbs, held the  the carbs rightside up and pushed the floats up and let go. one of them wouldstick up,creating an overflow of fuel . I found the float pin was slightly bent causing the float to stick. I bent it straight and walla! Hope that helps. I also thought the fuel should leak out the smaller tubes but mine leaked out the large tube also. On the stock airbox issue did you know about the screws on the side and one on top of the airbox to frame ? If you loosen them the airbox pulls back a littleand makes pulling the carbs on this pretty easy. I prefer the stock box myself, unless Im building a faster bike!
Quote from: aslovik on August 21, 2013, 02:14:30 PM
Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on August 21, 2013, 12:46:35 PM
Looking at that picture, the spring needle tip (that the float persses on) is stuck in the compressed position.  I remember reading somewhere (probably in the Carb Files) that if the spring tip is stuck, the needle will not seat well and will leak.

Also, what year is your FJ?  9Kmiles isn't that many, but think about the number of YEARS those o-rings have been sitting there (assuming they are stock). 

I just noticed that myself. I will try and loosen it or order a new one. Riding season is slipping away...

The FJ is a '93. I know, not a lot of miles. I used to ride it to work and back - but lived and worked in San Francisco, so it was only 3 miles each way. Now I am in Utah and want to do a lot more leisure riding....

Adam
past motorcycles, 26, too many to list!

aslovik

Quote from: Mattman on August 26, 2013, 11:05:39 AM
Hi Adam,
I had the exact same problem with my 89, I found one of the floats 'sticky' I had all the float bowls off the carbs, held the  the carbs rightside up and pushed the floats up and let go. one of them wouldstick up,creating an overflow of fuel . I found the float pin was slightly bent causing the float to stick. I bent it straight and walla! Hope that helps. I also thought the fuel should leak out the smaller tubes but mine leaked out the large tube also. On the stock airbox issue did you know about the screws on the side and one on top of the airbox to frame ? If you loosen them the airbox pulls back a littleand makes pulling the carbs on this pretty easy. I prefer the stock box myself, unless Im building a faster bike!
Looking at that picture, the spring needle tip (that the float persses on) is stuck in the compressed position.  I remember reading somewhere (probably in the Carb Files) that if the spring tip is stuck, the needle will not seat well and will leak.

Also, what year is your FJ?  9Kmiles isn't that many, but think about the number of YEARS those o-rings have been sitting there (assuming they are stock). 

I just noticed that myself. I will try and loosen it or order a new one. Riding season is slipping away...

The FJ is a '93. I know, not a lot of miles. I used to ride it to work and back - but lived and worked in San Francisco, so it was only 3 miles each way. Now I am in Utah and want to do a lot more leisure riding....

Adam

Thanks - yes I do know about the the screws to move the airbox back. Makes it a bit easier. Still a pain.

You see, first I thought the carbs were dirty and a float was sticking - so I took it apart, cleaned it all and put it all back. Still leaked.

Then, I noticed two of the needles had their springs depressed so replaced them - still leaked.

Then, I replaced the o-rings, and didn't oil them so might have damaged them - because it still spews gas!

So, plan is to re-replace the o-rings, two new needles for the ones that appear fine but what the heck. And pray a lot.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions

Adam

FJ_Hooligan

A few more tips from the Carb Files:
Sometimes after a rebuild, one or more floats can stick in the down position and allow overflow.  Cycle the power and tap on the float bowl to break the float loose.  (I've actually seen this happen once).

Pay attention to how the overflow/vent lines are routed.  If they are kinked, fuel will spew out of the jet and needle passages.  If you're continuing to leak from the overflow, then this is probably not the problem. 

"Gusher" leak indicates stuck float or crud in needle seat.  "Seeping" leak is o-ring.
DavidR.

Mattman

Good point from Hooligan, Ive seen people cut the four float bowl vent lines short then put the carbs on and kink one or more of the hoses and that will not let air in the bowl causing overflow out the larger tubes.
Quote from: Mattman on August 26, 2013, 11:05:39 AM
Hi Adam,

Adam
past motorcycles, 26, too many to list!

aslovik

Quote from: racerrad8 on August 25, 2013, 07:25:25 PM

Randy - RPM

Randy - How likely is it, do you think, that I tore them when putting in the needle seats not having oiled them? The thing is, when I first ordered two needles from you, I also got (thank you, thank you) 4 complimentary o-rings. I ordered another two needles just to be safe but this time - no o-rings. My question is this: should I pull the needle seats out and replace the o-rings?

Adam

FJmonkey

You could pull them and inspect them for damage. Use a magnifying glass and bend them around so any cuts or damage will be visible. If you cut them bad enough to leak then you can find the damage.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Capn Ron

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on August 26, 2013, 04:04:55 PM
A few more tips from the Carb Files:
Sometimes after a rebuild, one or more floats can stick in the down position and allow overflow.  Cycle the power and tap on the float bowl to break the float loose.  (I've actually seen this happen once).

"Gusher" leak indicates stuck float or crud in needle seat.  "Seeping" leak is o-ring.

I had the "gusher leak" after rebuilding the carbs in a hotel room in Payson, Arizona.  One of the floats was stuck...verified that by riding off a curb.  The "bump" unstuck the float and I was on my way!  It sure beat pulling the carbs again!

Cap'n Ron. . .
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

FJ_Hooligan

There appears to be some really good information in the carb files.

andyb and others have made a considerable contribution.  Very good reading!
DavidR.

racerrad8

Quote from: aslovik on August 28, 2013, 04:12:26 PM
Randy - How likely is it, do you think, that I tore them when putting in the needle seats not having oiled them? The thing is, when I first ordered two needles from you, I also got (thank you, thank you) 4 complimentary o-rings. I ordered another two needles just to be safe but this time - no o-rings. My question is this: should I pull the needle seats out and replace the o-rings?

Adam

Sorry, I missed this yesterday. It would be wise to pull them and inspect to see if they have any damage or tears, that is what I would do. I though I would be kind and include as you put it a set of "complimentary" needle seat o-rings on the first order.

You then said;
Quote from: aslovik on August 26, 2013, 12:30:45 PM
Then, I replaced the o-rings, and didn't oil them so might have damaged them - because it still spews gas!

So, plan is to re-replace the o-rings, two new needles for the ones that appear fine but what the heck. And pray a lot.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions

Adam

So, then I recommended the S/S carb & o-ring kit as it would supply you with all of the o-rings for the carbs as well as the replacement screws in S/S allen head bolts.

But the order came in for just two more needles...

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM